• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you tell in advance how much fillings hurt?

N

nightsong

Well, I went :) What a lovely dentist. He was so gentle, NOTHING hurt - the x-rays, the exam, pulling out the broken filling and putting in the temporary one. So far, so very good.

Gordon, thank you so much for your help. And harper and mkayy, you were so supportive and kind, many thanks to you too. :grouphug:

OK, I still have a couple of supplementary questions if Gordon isn't too sick of me. Unfortunately I forgot to take my printout of the other thread, being a bit distracted with all the crying I was doing before I went. So although I explained about my sensitivities and allergies, i din't say about possibly going to hospital for testing with the anaesthetics.

He was a very experienced dentist, 60-ish I should think. Like you he said he'd never seen a bad reaction to modern anaesthetics though he did occasionally see them in the past with the old-style drugs. I gather they had much more adrenaline in for one thing.

He accpted that I was allergic to Valium, and that I'm not sure if I can take antibiotics. He was fine about using a non-epi local. His suggetion is that I have this quite big filling (it is on a bottom pre-molar) without anaesthetic and see how I get on. if it hurts too much he will stop, and either patch it up again with another temporary filling, or give me the local and carry on. He obviously thinks I will be absolutely fine with the shot. He also said it was a good sign that's he'd been able to do the work on the tooth so far without me feeling any discomfort, though to be fair the only drilling involved was when he was shaping the top of the tooth afterwards.

If this works he is proposing working on my molar with the huge temporary filling, also without pain relief. He does seem rather less convinced this will be possible though.

So my questions are -
1. Is there any way to tell in advance how much this will hurt? How relevant is his skill level? He does seem very good and I have a surprisingly high level of trust in him - it turns out he is my GP's dentist which also seems like a good sign!

2. He said some of his patients don't have anaesthetics and say they don't feel any pain. Again, is this a) because they have unusually high pain thresholds, b) because he is very skillful, c) because they are very drunk?

3, If pain relief is the road I want to take, should I insist on the in-hospital testing, or just trust him (and you) and go for it at the time? Or ask him to inject me first, to see if I'm ok, without doing the work necessarily? He is happy to spend time which is wonderful, so I don't think he'll mind too much if I turn up for the filling but end up asking for something else this time.

I can't really believe I have got this far. It feels a bit like a dream at the moment. The best bit was that my gums are fine and my dental hygiene is apparently very good :o. I was astonished, I thought there would be a major lecture about how badly I was brushing my teeth - I can't get on with my electric toothbrush for one thing, and guiltily abandoned it years ago.

There may be a bit of an element of minimising problems I suppose, but the x-rays looked all right to my untutored eyes. Oh well, one step at a time!

I will try to stop with the endless questions, Gordon, and take myself off to another forum after this ;D

Re: Can you tell in advance how much fillings hurt

hi nightsong
well done for going :jump: and your most welcome anytime i enjoy helping people(or trying anyway) i dont really know about the local thing but i would have thought it is fairly painful. i have gone without but only on a rct front tooth so it was dead anyway. i used to cringe at the thought of it but actually it was ok. i did have one time when i felt something but thats wasnt drilling but when he was cleaning them out but he stopped instantly and put some la in there. ive got this terrible habit of trying to leap out of the chair :redface:
i do know someone who never has la he says its painful but he would rather the pain than the numb feeling after,but too be honest i think hes mad!
as for gordon dont fret i think he enjoys helping us hes a really great guy and is really helping me at the moment. well done again dont go away though keep posting :XXLhug:

In the 1970s having been refused LA as a child for several fillings (some deeper than others)...I would say a deep filling would be pretty awful BUT maybe bearable if you had control i.e. they stopped whenever you wanted them to as opposed to your just having to put up with it (I can't believe I'm saying this :scared:)....personally I'd do anything including i/v sedation, to avoid having to repeat such an experience but presumably this isn't an option for you. One poster on here used hypnosis which partially worked, for invasive treatment but I thought that approach was unnecessary as needle phobia was the reason for not wanting LA.

Obviously some people do have high pain thresholds....with anything, if the pain stays at a constant level, I think you can psych yourself to accept it for a short period but its likely to not be a constant level with a deep filling.

You're between a rock and a hard place but I think if it were me, I'd go for the original route Gordon suggested and get the LA tested first. Glad he was gentle but it's not really possible to be gentle with a drill on a tooth which is not numb - apparently there is a practice in London where the patient can cut the electricity supply to the drill if they want a break but that's with LA, so probably a bit of a gimmick....sounds good to me.
If you do decide to go for it...just make sure you do have control...which he kind of agreed from what you said but maybe clarify that aspect.
:grouphug:

Thanks, harper and Brit :grouphug:. Your comments were really helpful.

Well, I have a month to decide anyway as he's going on holiday. Not ideal really, I have to try not to let the fears build up again. I must try not to get too fond of my nice temp filling!

I think getting the testing is probably the most sensible thing, though it means going to a hospital (shudder). Maybe time to work on my phobia of hospitals too!

Don't worry harper, i shall be sticking around for quite a while I'm sure ;D

Well done for going at all, that took a lot of guts. :grouphug:

The other alternative you didn't mention would be to have a small amount of local injected, really just a few drops and see if that provoked a response, personally I doubt if it would, but if there was a reaction then it would be a lot milder. You could even do it over a single visit, try the couple of drops, if no problem inject the rest then do the filling...

Onto your questions:

1) Not really, different pain thresholds, depends if there's a lot of decay or not depends on how gentle the dentist is
2) a) or maybe c :)
3) See above

Gordon said:
The other alternative you didn't mention would be to have a small amount of local injected, really just a few drops and see if that provoked a response, personally I doubt if it would, but if there was a reaction then it would be a lot milder. You could even do it over a single visit, try the couple of drops, if no problem inject the rest then do the filling...

This sounds even more sensible Nightsong...trying stuff without anaesthetic isn't really going to help your phobia any.

Thanks, Gordon and Brit :). You're stars.

Back