• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you use different toothpastes, or will that reduce effectiveness??

P

Poppy1234

taking a break from the forum
Been trying to find toothpastes that don't have a mint taste or smell, so I can use one without being ill..... :sick:

I've found a couple that should be good, but can you use 2 different kinds?
Say one in the morning and a different one at night?
Or would they lose their effectiveness?

Found a citrus fluoride toothpaste by Colgate that I've bought from America for regular use.
And have bought the fluoride free Dr Collins Restore remineralising toothpaste to help heal a cavity.
Also got Duraphat 5000, just to put on this area of slight decay each night.

Is mixing these ok?
Or should I just use one at a time for a few months at a time, then switch?
Thanks!! ;D

Mix and match as much as you like, it doesn't matter.

Should be fine to mix and match, I use two kinds of toothpaste daily. Colgate Total for cleaning, then Sensodyne for sensitivity afterward.

Fabulous. This place is great. It's ace getting loads of advice!

;D ;D

I'm hearing more and more though that if you use a restoration toothpaste with NovaMin or Recaldent it, it won't "get through" to the tooth surface properly to remineralise if you also use a fluoride toothpaste with glycerine in??
But all fluoride toothpastes seem to have this, presumably to leave a protective layer on the teeth as a barrier to bacteria??
So then your remineralising products can't get through to the area it's needed??
Annoying, as you need both fluoride AND a remineralising product for effective remineralisation.

So should I brush with water before using a remineralisation toothpaste then, so tooth is clean?
All advice says tooth has to be clean, and I'd guess a film of glycerine doesn't count as "clean"??

Almost all pastes have glycerin in them. I think that using the F one in the morning and the other one in the evening should make sure everything works as well as possible.

Cheers!
I'm brushing 4 times a day right now with the 3 products!!
I'll try and use the "Restore" only a reasonable time after the fluoride products.
;D

Back