• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

cancelled appointments

S

snapper

Why do I do it? I make appointments to see a dentist for a check up then worry and panic about what i'm going to say, how I i'll behave and whether i'll ask too many questons. Then I cancel and feel so much better. What's the best way to deal with this?

its your anxiety - i understand it totally. the relief after you call to give an excuse as to why you cannot attend and giving them the usual line of "i'll ring to make another appointment when i am not working, busy,unwell etc etc"
make an appointment then sit on your hands to stop you phoning back to cancel .. better still, get someone else to make the appointment for you and them not to tell you til that morning !!! :)

good luck :grouphug:

Michie--I have used every excuse in the book to get out of dental appointments..including telling them my mom died!!! (Well, she died alright...many months earlier!!) I have always used work and meetings as an excuse...one time I just went to Hawaii and ignored it...(they never invited me back...)

Now that I have found the most wonderful dentist in the world, I can't wait to go back!!! I mean it, I have just gone from being totally consumed with anxiety day and night for 2 months to LOVING my dentist!!

I agree---if someone would have known to make an appt without me knowing and then just tell me that day, I would have been so much better off...maybe that is a good route to go...give it a shot--you never know what you may find!!!

Best of luck!!! And know that you can always find so much support here--I have!!

Why do I do it? I make appointments to see a dentist for a check up then worry and panic about what i'm going to say, how I i'll behave and whether i'll ask too many questons. Then I cancel and feel so much better. What's the best way to deal with this?

I don't know, but you should figure out a way to keep them. I finally found a dentist who was competent and that I felt comfortable with. Then I started canceling appointments and then he wouldn't accept me any more. It was then that I stopped going to dentists altogether and my dental situation go worse and worse until now where I'm really screwed. Don't do this!

Thank you all for getting back to me about this.

I have seen this dentist once before and i'm not sure I feel that comfortable with him, but I also think I ought to give him a chance. I've made this appointment at short notice and they have given me one in weeks time. I have already cancelled two previously arranged appointments with them.

You responses have helped to put my worries and concerns in perspective. Thanks for your support. :grouphug: