• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

canker sore help

S

sunnyd

I am 51 and now having recurrent canker sores and always on the tip of my tongue. Recently diagnosed with Ra and taking Meloxicam I stopped the med, switched to Celebrex, they abated for about 6 month and now starting again. Any ideas, help??? with the last one I high dosed lysine and it seemed to halt. DShould I take lysine regularly? Advise please . these little monsters hurt!

Hi,

There are no really good medicines to deal with these canker sores. Some can give a moderate relief but not long. There are two things which are important:
1) keep the sores clean, by rinsing with slat water or a mouth wash. I usually recommend a mouth-wash that contains Chlorhexidine without alcohol (like Perio-Aid). If a wound in the mouth a catches secondary infection, it takes more time for it to heal.
2) Find out what is the reason for the recurrent sores on your tip of the tongue. It might very much be that your teeth are hurting the tongue, damaging the tissue and thus increase the chance for the aphthoue.

I am 51 and now having recurrent canker sores and always on the tip of my tongue. Recently diagnosed with Ra and taking Meloxicam I stopped the med, switched to Celebrex, they abated for about 6 month and now starting again. Any ideas, help??? with the last one I high dosed lysine and it seemed to halt. DShould I take lysine regularly? Advise please . these little monsters hurt!

Thank u . Could it be related to my RA? I never had these through my lifetime including my time with braces and now. I read something about SLS being avoided so I changed many toothpaste. As I said in another post Iam terrified of dental work. Strong in every other facet of my life but that

It is very possible as apthous ulcers(canker sores) are considered to be autoimmune. I will prescribe a topical steroid at onset for people with significant complaints.

Am guessing from other posts that you're a girl? They can related to the monthly hormonal disturbances and to loss of blood leading to slight anaemia, particularly Vit B12 and folate deficiency. It wouldn't hurt to increase your folic acid intake with some fresh veggies and so on.

female yes and off hormones now x 6 years after surgical hydro in 2001 and totally asymptomatic in th at regard They started about 6 months of taking Mexican, stopped when I switched to Celebrex but now returned again bout 6 months into new med. Oh note I am a personal trainer and train HARD myself so was wondering about a nutritional deficit. like I said the lysine admin at onset seemed to abate the most recent oneone. THANK YOU all for any input you can offer

Oh note I am a personal trainer and train HARD myself so was wondering about a nutritional deficit. like I said the lysine admin at onset seemed to abate the most recent oneone. THANK YOU all for any input you can offer
If there was any nutritional deficit you would probably feel weak and fatigue.
I still think that recurrent trauma is a good guess, and among trainers it happens often that the tongue comes between the teeth during effort. If this is the case it would be very easy to prevent recurrent sores.

What has your recent diet been like? I only ask because some exotic foods or delicacies can cause canker sores when eaten often.

Second, I would first see a general practitioner. I assume you are brushing your teeth often, gargling, and flossing... or cleaning your mouth somehow. So see a GP first. They can recommend a special mouth wash. They may refer you to a dentist, and if they do, see the dentist.

Good luck!

if it happens often keep a log of everything you put in your mouth.

Back