• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Canker sores and stress?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if anyone can answer this but can stress/anxiety cause canker sores? Every dentist appointment without fail I develop a canker sore just beforehand. My next appointment is in 2 days and right on schedule, just developed a canker sore on the inside of my cheek today! Any tips for making it disappear in the next 48 hours??? :(

Canker sores can be caused by many different things, stress, different food reactions, certain illnesses, I deal with them allot. I can maybe help you to know what can help, salt water rinsing will help to heal them up but the amino acid Lysine works really well for keeping them away, if you drink a protein drink that has whey in it, whey is very high in Lysine. Also I would recommend when you have them to stay away from any type of acid foods till they heal up, if I eat too many acid type foods that will also bring them on. I can really feel for you as the rotten things can really be painful. Oh another thing that can bring them on is a bad stomach, heartburn etc.

Could you anyone explain to me what canker sores are please, what do they look like and do you get them on your gums or the inside of your cheeks?:confused:

Hi Carole a canker sore happens on the inside of the mouth on the tongue or inside of the cheek they can even happen in the throat, they are a ulcerated sore so when I get them they are red and usually have white on them also and they hurt! Anything that touches them irritates them, so in the mouth they seem to always get touched of course.

shows pics and some info

Hi Carole a canker sore happens on the inside of the mouth on the tongue or inside of the cheek they can even happen in the throat

They can also occur under the tongue, on the palate, on the gums, and the on the inside of the lips...pretty much anywhere where there is mucosal tissue in the mouth. Some people are more prone to them than others. I am very prone and have to stay away from acidic stuff which is difficult because I love fruit juices. I read that they can occur when your immune system is low (like a manifestation of an infection) or when you're stressed which may contribute to the immune system thing and when drinking/eating acidic foods. On the flip side, I have never had a cold sore (the kind on the outside that form in the corner of your lips).

They're definitely stress related, I get them myself at exam times :(

Canker sore appears to be an american term, us Brits usually call them mouth ulcers. Oddly enough, I treated one lady a few years ago who actually got them if she wasn't stressed! She had retired from a very high pressure job and basically had got so used to stress in her life that she couldn't function without it, fascinating!

There are other factors which are associated with them, such as trauma from a new toothbrush, low levels of VitB12 or Folic Acid in the diet and some other bits and bobs.

They're definitely stress related, I get them myself at exam times :(

Canker sore appears to be an american term, us Brits usually call them mouth ulcers. Oddly enough, I treated one lady a few years ago who actually got them if she wasn't stressed! She had retired from a very high pressure job and basically had got so used to stress in her life that she couldn't function without it, fascinating!

There are other factors which are associated with them, such as trauma from a new toothbrush, low levels of VitB12 or Folic Acid in the diet and some other bits and bobs.

Thanks for clearing up the terminology difference Gordon! I was wondering how carole had never heard of these! :confused: Hadn't thought about those other potential contributing factors and interesting story about the lady who got them due to lack of stress. I wish that were the case for me, maybe I would get them less often! :rolleyes:Thanks for the insight Gordon!

Amazing how painful they are though isn't it. I don't get mouth ulcers often, but seem to only get them when the inside of my mouth has been scratched.

Amazing how painful they are though isn't it. I don't get mouth ulcers often, but seem to only get them when the inside of my mouth has been scratched.

I get them just about every time I eat or drink citrus, sometimes several at one time! Maybe I have a food allergy causing them??? Yes they are very painful and none of the over the counter products work. It would help if they didn't occur in areas that were frequently re-irritated by eating and talking. A few years ago, when I was really desperate for relief, I searched home remedies and read that holding a used tea bag on the sore is helpful. It is the only thing that works for me for temporary pain relief.

I have never had these but I have had the little lie spots on the end of your tongue though. They are really sore too.:oops: :p

I get them just about every time I eat or drink citrus, sometimes several at one time! Maybe I have a food allergy causing them??? Yes they are very painful and none of the over the counter products work. It would help if they didn't occur in areas that were frequently re-irritated by eating and talking. A few years ago, when I was really desperate for relief, I searched home remedies and read that holding a used tea bag on the sore is helpful. It is the only thing that works for me for temporary pain relief.

food is a big cause for many people, I am celiac and if I accidently get gluten I get them really bad.

I have never had these but I have had the little lie spots on the end of your tongue though. They are really sore too.:oops: :p

Carole what is a "lie spot"?

I have had the little lie spots on the end of your tongue though

Ahhhhhhh :ROFLMAO: What a spectacular typo. So, what are you lying about ey ?

Carys what typo, like the new pic by the way.
Bisja when you get a little sore spot on the end of your tongue, and it is really sore, they say it means you have been telling lies or little porky's.
Me tell lies, never, no not me :innocent: but my gran did used to say it meant you were run down when you got them.

I've never heard of "lie spots" either. I had to google it! lol She's already stirring up mischief mixing up the members' appointments accidentally...or is it REALLY accidental? perhaps she just likes getting us all confused for the sake of her own entertainment? :hmm:

No when I was a child if I got a sore tongue, my gran said I had been telling lies, and at school everyone said the same thing to each other, we had a rhyme

Liar Liar tongue's on fire. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I'm even making myself laugh now. Still little things please little minds. :p

lololol ours was "liar liar pants on fire!"

Yes we did the pants one as well. We also called people Billy Liar as well. I am oft to bed now so I bid you all Goodnight and sleep tight whenever you all go to bed. :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

sweet dreams Carole

Not a typo....they are lie spots....oh.....I'd never heard of them either.........o_O

Back