• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can't figure out what is wrong...

P

Porty

I posted a while ago about having a crown that hurt when I bite down on something. The dentist lowered it and lowered it and lowered it and it still hurts. He then said that I need a root canal, even though the root looks healthy on the x-ray and I only have pain for a second or two when biting (and only "hard" foods). I decided to wait a few weeks and see what happened.

It has been almost 4 months since I had the crown done and I still cannot eat on it. I have started having pain, but it feels like it is where my lower jaw joins the upper jaw and kinda in my ear, not in my tooth. I only have it when I yawn or move my lower jaw to the right (think Jim Carrey....!). I have an appointment tomorrow, but I am scared. I don't want the dentist to do a root canal because he doesn't know what else to do. What else could it be? Referred pain? If I need a root canal, I'll get it done, but I DON'T want to find out after the RCT that it was something else causing the problem.

Any help is VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

I am by no means an expert on this, but your problem sounds similar to some issues I have with TMJ. With TMJ, I grind my teeth a lot at night or clench my jaw, and that give me headaches and makes my teeth sore. Even certain teeth are more sore than others when I put pressure on them.

About 8 years ago I got a mouth guard to wear while I sleep, and that helps with a lot of the problems. I'm not sure if this is your issue as well, but you could ask your dentist if this is a possibility since your jaw is in pain as well.

Good luck!

I suffer with TMJ problems too. I also grind my teeth at night. I have a lot of strange pains in my mouth and jaw that my dentist said could be attributed to my TMJ problems..........not really sure.....just started getting treatment for it this month.
I agree with EmilyC.....I'm in no way a dental expert but your problems sound like they may be caused by grinding or possibly TMJ issues........bring that up with your dentist to have him check that out before he does that RCT.
Wishing you the best,
Jen

Back