• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can't get used to my false teeth plate but the alternatives...help

RustyRebecca

RustyRebecca

A short while ago I posted how I was to have my bridges out because they were loosening my neighbouring teeth. I said I was very anxious but they were removed and a plate put in. I can't get used to this plate (that cost a lot of money, about £1000 to have this done). It is hard and inflexible, covering half of my palate. I can't eat with it in. I actually quite hate it! So I hardly wear it (as I am at home a lot) and only wear it when I see people. I have gaps at UL3 and UR3, so my canines, that were removed when I was a child by a stupid dentist who said they would grow too big. I was about 12/13 years old. So without anything there, when I smile, you can see gaps. This greatly affects my confidence. The dentist has said about implants but seemed to think that not to be a good idea (and for me with high levels of anxiety, also perhaps not a good idea). But it is this part of what he wrote to me that I find quite staggering; 'A combination of dental bridges. This can only be considered if the small front teeth firm up ( as I expect they gradually will). By crowning the front four teeth you would then be able to close the gap in the middle and possibly also not have to wear a denture. At the moment then, this idea is on hold until we see what happens with the two small teeth. Likely costs could be around £5,000. ' And this is based on a lot of maybe's and if's! And so much money!! (I have quite a wide gap between my two front teeth). Someone told me that he would grind down my 4 front teeth to stubs. A flexible denture is the other option of about £1500 which is much thinner but I think it has to go further around my teeth, and I worry that if I had that, I might not get on with that either. I am at my wits end. £5000 just for my front teeth and there is still other work that needs to be done. I don't know what to do. No NHS dentist within any distance at all, obviously.

Hi Rebecca. I'm not a dentist so can't comment on the solution, but I am about to get an acrylic partial denture when my canine tooth is extracted in a couple of weeks. I can empathise with the difficult choices. You don't know what will be best and have to pay before you find out. How long have you had the denture? I've read that it can take some getting used to. Does it fit ok? Do you think an adjustment might help? If you can somehow get used to it for now it might give you the headspace to think about other options.

Hi Sally. Thank you for replying. When I first saw the partial denture, I thought, oh that's okay, it looks small! But once in your mouth, very different. Though I think it will be smaller for you for just one canine when mine is for both canines. I have had mine for a few weeks and I did try to get used to it but it is always such a relief when I remove it! Its like my whole body sags ;-) It is inflexible on the palate. But I am a very sensitive person, who feels a lot so I just think (and the dentist said this) that some people simply never get used to it. You just don't know beforehand if that will be you. It does fit fine but I know in my heart I will never get used to it, even though I have tried. I don't think it needs adjusting. It does make my teeth look nice which is good. But to wear it all the time fills me with despair. I do hope you are able to get used to yours. But for me...well, I just don't know :(

Hi Sally. Thank you for replying. When I first saw the partial denture, I thought, oh that's okay, it looks small! But once in your mouth, very different. Though I think it will be smaller for you for just one canine when mine is for both canines. I have had mine for a few weeks and I did try to get used to it but it is always such a relief when I remove it! Its like my whole body sags ;-) It is inflexible on the palate. But I am a very sensitive person, who feels a lot so I just think (and the dentist said this) that some people simply never get used to it. You just don't know beforehand if that will be you. It does fit fine but I know in my heart I will never get used to it, even though I have tried. I don't think it needs adjusting. It does make my teeth look nice which is good. But to wear it all the time fills me with despair. I do hope you are able to get used to yours. But for me...well, I just don't know :(

To be honest I think I will find it very very hard. I too am super sensitive. Yes it's just one side, the dentist offered to add another tooth on the other side that I'd been missing a while and I said no. I said this needs to be as small as possible. Such a difficult process to have limited options and big expenses. I too am paying £500 for mine. Also super worried about speech, how's that for you? But what can we do....

Hope a dentist will be able to advise you on the alternatives you have been offered so that you can have a bit of a plan in mind. I too am not an ideal candidate for an implant. I'm losing this tooth as it's crowned and I got a horrid infection that's destroyed the bone support around it. Sounds to me as if canine teeth are a challenge to replace.

Hello RustyRebecca

Firstly, great name! I don't know why but I love it.

It is really difficult to advise based on your written description alone. Certainly your dentist is being quite guarded about the bridge option.
Was you denture a metal based one or plastic only? The metal based ones are much thinner and more stable so tend to be much better tolerated. Patients who have had them never want to go back to all plastic. Having said that, some people do indeed have problems tolerating them.
Implants, are a great option. Even is you are apprehensive they are no problem with good sedation for most people. The main issue with them tends to be the cost.
Hope this sheds a little light on the situation.
Lincoln

To be honest I think I will find it very very hard. I too am super sensitive. Yes it's just one side, the dentist offered to add another tooth on the other side that I'd been missing a while and I said no. I said this needs to be as small as possible. Such a difficult process to have limited options and big expenses. I too am paying £500 for mine. Also super worried about speech, how's that for you? But what can we do....

Hope a dentist will be able to advise you on the alternatives you have been offered so that you can have a bit of a plan in mind. I too am not an ideal candidate for an implant. I'm losing this tooth as it's crowned and I got a horrid infection that's destroyed the bone support around it. Sounds to me as if canine teeth are a challenge to replace.

My speech is affected in that anything beginning with S is a bit of a struggle but apparently no one can tell (just me). Maybe your dentist will make sure it is really small and I hope you are okay with it.

Hello RustyRebecca

Firstly, great name! I don't know why but I love it.

It is really difficult to advise based on your written description alone. Certainly your dentist is being quite guarded about the bridge option.
Was you denture a metal based one or plastic only? The metal based ones are much thinner and more stable so tend to be much better tolerated. Patients who have had them never want to go back to all plastic. Having said that, some people do indeed have problems tolerating them.
Implants, are a great option. Even is you are apprehensive they are no problem with good sedation for most people. The main issue with them tends to be the cost.
Hope this sheds a little light on the situation.
Lincoln

Thank you for answering :) Yes it is a plastic one. Feels like cardboard in my mouth ;-) Ugh. I was never offered the option of a metal based one. I think my dentist isn't sure if I can have implants to replace these teeth. I always thought it was quite an invasive procedure of many trips. And I was told once that I wouldn't respond well to sedation because I have a fear of losing control and that I would fight against it, or something, so they would have to give me too much! But if I could, I think I would go for implants.

@RustyRebecca I'm not a candidate for an implant for my canine tooth but I did learn more about them. Might be worth exploring as I think there are 'mini' implants that seem to require a shorter treatment time and perhaps you can seek a dentist that might have options other than sedation.

Unfortunately, mini implants did not live up to the hype that surrounded their introduction. There are situations where they are still an options but they are few and far between.

@RustyRebecca I'm not a candidate for an implant for my canine tooth but I did learn more about them. Might be worth exploring as I think there are 'mini' implants that seem to require a shorter treatment time and perhaps you can seek a dentist that might have options other than sedation.
As to implants based on your story I would say you have a lack of bone at the UL3 and UR3. I have read nothing in your statements that would rule out grafting bone in those sites that then would allow for implant placement. As to the large gaps if your individual teeth look fine and healthy then I would consider orthodontic treatment to close the gaps which would then make for a larger space for two implants and crowns on the implants.
For the surgery sedation would be am option.
As to cost yes it would be a lot of money. In the USA it would be in the range of 15,000. Almost like buying a cheap car. This is also long term treatment and you are miserable so the value becomes higher under these conditions. If you want to PM a picture I'll reply.

Back