• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Cat Mom Remodel

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

And so it begins...
After a lifetime of bad teeth and sinusitis, migraines, etc, I finally managed to get up the gumption and nerve to face my fears and contact a local free clinic.
My journey starts Saturday 8/3/19 at 9:30am, when they extract some badly broken back molars with old nasty fillings that have likely been making me sick for YEARS.
I started by getting my clinical depression treated a few months ago and got a complete physical.
It took me a lot of courage to call that dental clinic... I've been scared of the dentist for years due to some less-than-encouraging experiences as a kid and as a teen.
I'm almost 50 now, and for my 50th birthday next year I want STEAK, darn it! :)
Dentures, here I come...

Dg6300

Dg6300

Go for it! Let us know how you do.

One disagreement: not just steak, which is a worthy goal, but also other wonderfully pointy, crunchy, and cold foods.

BoxerMom

BoxerMom

One disagreement: not just steak, which is a worthy goal, but also other wonderfully pointy, crunchy, and cold foods.
Omg. I can’t wait to eat all sorts of things I’ve not been able to for so long now. Good luck, Catmom.

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

7/25/19:
Spent last night reading the info from the dentist's office on post-extraction diet and came up with a hiccup... Every other thing listed was starchy and sugary - not great options when one is trying to reverse a history of poor eating habits. Being lactose sensitive doesn't help either.

I was able to contact one of the dietitians at my regular doctor's office today, and she was a blessing. She showed me options like cooked squash, lentils, cooked beans, salmon, fine cut steamed spinach, etc. She also recommended bone broth and taking a probiotic.

One more thing to put into my recovery arsenal, anyway!

Happy Thursday...

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

Mmm... Lovely cold salads with lettuce fresh from the garden and some of my friendly neighbor's spinach and radishes... I am SO looking forward to this!

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Catmom.

Just a p.s. I love the cat pic and name.. I'm a bit of cat lady myself :)..

Dg6300

Dg6300

Done!

And I’m going to add those big, crunchy croutons.

And then ice cream, with the little frozen chunks of peanut butter cups.

When you get there, and you will, be sure to post here.

F

frostgirl

I hope it all goes well for you Cat Mom, and keep us posted! :hug4:

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

Done!

And I’m going to add those big, crunchy croutons.

And then ice cream, with the little frozen chunks of peanut butter cups.

When you get there, and you will, be sure to post here.
Mmmmm! I love chocolate peanut butter ice cream!!!! And crusty warm bread with butter...
Thank you for your support! 🐱

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

7/30/19 Tuesday
Got the healthy 'soft food' groceries stashed away in preparation. Got some good funny movies to lighten the spirit while I apply ice packs...
Funny coincidence that one of the broken teeth getting pulled on Saturday morning decided to ache today... It's like the tooth knows that something is up? :unsure:

Dg6300

Dg6300

It is time to show it who is boss (you). You tell that tooth that you are in charge now, and to tell all his tooth buddies. Dental fear can’t live in your mouth anymore. It has to go.

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

7/31/19 Wednesday
Last entry of July... Can't believe it's over already!

I've been reading 'The Idiot Brain' by Dean Burnett - today's section dealt with fears and phobias and why we have them. It's too much to go into here, but it did make me feel better.

Also - re-discovered the application of room temp cucumber slices on sore jaws and aching teeth. Really felt good! (Co-workers are cleaning out their gardens - and here come the onslaught of cucumbers and zucchini's!)

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

8/2/19 Friday
Let the countdown begin... 9:30am Saturday is 'extraction day'...

My nerves are a mix of anxiety, yet tinted with a strange anticipation that I'll be facing one of my fears and will (hopefully) either smash it to bits (my inner Hulk mode) or reduce it from a mountain down to a dirt mound.

I can't say I 'look forward' to getting my teeth extracted tomorrow morning, but so long as I make myself breathe deep and try to think more positive notions about how good my health will be once these bad teeth are out...

Wow... That alone is an amazing thought... A reduction in cellulitis/facial swelling, fewer medicine cabinet trips, not feeling like I have a low grade flu a lot of the time, fewer colds, possibly even more relaxed muscles in my neck, less 'gunk' seeping into my body systems from infected dead teeth...

Anyway... Enough for now.
Blessings... KH

Dg6300

Dg6300

You are going to do great.

Keep us posted

Sol

Sol

Wishing you the best.
Here is to that future steak. :hungry:

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thinking of you today catmom!! You got this! :grouphug: Let us know how it goes.. Think of us as you are sitting in the chair! Hope they treat you with the most kindness and gentleness today!

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

8/3/19 Saturday
It went amazingly well. Had five teeth extracted on lower left jaw and an old infection got cleared out. No pain hours later, just mild discomfort from the stitches. Was told that they may be able to save two teeth with new fillings. Still have four teeth needing pulled but not urgent per the dentist. I feel so blessed! Swelling nothing compared to the cellulitis that my now gone problem teeth used to give me!