• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cat Mom Remodel

Cat Mom

Cat Mom

And so it begins...
After a lifetime of bad teeth and sinusitis, migraines, etc, I finally managed to get up the gumption and nerve to face my fears and contact a local free clinic.
My journey starts Saturday 8/3/19 at 9:30am, when they extract some badly broken back molars with old nasty fillings that have likely been making me sick for YEARS.
I started by getting my clinical depression treated a few months ago and got a complete physical.
It took me a lot of courage to call that dental clinic... I've been scared of the dentist for years due to some less-than-encouraging experiences as a kid and as a teen.
I'm almost 50 now, and for my 50th birthday next year I want STEAK, darn it! :)
Dentures, here I come...

Go for it! Let us know how you do.

One disagreement: not just steak, which is a worthy goal, but also other wonderfully pointy, crunchy, and cold foods.

One disagreement: not just steak, which is a worthy goal, but also other wonderfully pointy, crunchy, and cold foods.
Omg. I can’t wait to eat all sorts of things I’ve not been able to for so long now. Good luck, Catmom.

7/25/19:
Spent last night reading the info from the dentist's office on post-extraction diet and came up with a hiccup... Every other thing listed was starchy and sugary - not great options when one is trying to reverse a history of poor eating habits. Being lactose sensitive doesn't help either.

I was able to contact one of the dietitians at my regular doctor's office today, and she was a blessing. She showed me options like cooked squash, lentils, cooked beans, salmon, fine cut steamed spinach, etc. She also recommended bone broth and taking a probiotic.

One more thing to put into my recovery arsenal, anyway!

Happy Thursday...

Omg. I can’t wait to eat all sorts of things I’ve not been able to for so long now. Good luck, Catmom.

Thank-you! I'll take all the luck and good wishes I can get! :)

Mmm... Lovely cold salads with lettuce fresh from the garden and some of my friendly neighbor's spinach and radishes... I am SO looking forward to this!

Catmom.

Just a p.s. I love the cat pic and name.. I'm a bit of cat lady myself :)..

Done!

And I’m going to add those big, crunchy croutons.

And then ice cream, with the little frozen chunks of peanut butter cups.

When you get there, and you will, be sure to post here.

I hope it all goes well for you Cat Mom, and keep us posted! :hug4:

Done!

And I’m going to add those big, crunchy croutons.

And then ice cream, with the little frozen chunks of peanut butter cups.

When you get there, and you will, be sure to post here.
Mmmmm! I love chocolate peanut butter ice cream!!!! And crusty warm bread with butter...
Thank you for your support! ?

7/30/19 Tuesday
Got the healthy 'soft food' groceries stashed away in preparation. Got some good funny movies to lighten the spirit while I apply ice packs...
Funny coincidence that one of the broken teeth getting pulled on Saturday morning decided to ache today... It's like the tooth knows that something is up? :unsure:

It is time to show it who is boss (you). You tell that tooth that you are in charge now, and to tell all his tooth buddies. Dental fear can’t live in your mouth anymore. It has to go.

7/31/19 Wednesday
Last entry of July... Can't believe it's over already!

I've been reading 'The Idiot Brain' by Dean Burnett - today's section dealt with fears and phobias and why we have them. It's too much to go into here, but it did make me feel better.

Also - re-discovered the application of room temp cucumber slices on sore jaws and aching teeth. Really felt good! (Co-workers are cleaning out their gardens - and here come the onslaught of cucumbers and zucchini's!)

8/2/19 Friday
Let the countdown begin... 9:30am Saturday is 'extraction day'...

My nerves are a mix of anxiety, yet tinted with a strange anticipation that I'll be facing one of my fears and will (hopefully) either smash it to bits (my inner Hulk mode) or reduce it from a mountain down to a dirt mound.

I can't say I 'look forward' to getting my teeth extracted tomorrow morning, but so long as I make myself breathe deep and try to think more positive notions about how good my health will be once these bad teeth are out...

Wow... That alone is an amazing thought... A reduction in cellulitis/facial swelling, fewer medicine cabinet trips, not feeling like I have a low grade flu a lot of the time, fewer colds, possibly even more relaxed muscles in my neck, less 'gunk' seeping into my body systems from infected dead teeth...

Anyway... Enough for now.
Blessings... KH

You are going to do great.

Keep us posted

Wishing you the best.
Here is to that future steak. :hungry:

Thinking of you today catmom!! You got this! :grouphug: Let us know how it goes.. Think of us as you are sitting in the chair! Hope they treat you with the most kindness and gentleness today!

8/3/19 Saturday
It went amazingly well. Had five teeth extracted on lower left jaw and an old infection got cleared out. No pain hours later, just mild discomfort from the stitches. Was told that they may be able to save two teeth with new fillings. Still have four teeth needing pulled but not urgent per the dentist. I feel so blessed! Swelling nothing compared to the cellulitis that my now gone problem teeth used to give me!

Back