• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Cavity in upper wisdom tooth - please advise!

L

ldngirl2021

Hi all, I went to a dentist a few days ago and she informed me that I have a cavity on my upper wisdom tooth. So I have been referred for removal (along with my impacted lower wisdom tooth but that's a different story!).

My fear is that as it has a cavity, can it cause sepsis when it is removed? I do not have any infections I think. I'm worried that when the cavity filled upper wisdom tooth is removed, sepsis will develop from the open wound?

I just read a news report on how a girl in the UK experienced this and I am terrified.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
No it won't. Reference to the news report? Sounds like absolute cobblers to me...

L

ldngirl2021

No it won't. Reference to the news report? Sounds like absolute cobblers to me...

'It's believed the sepsis was contracted because the tooth was so infected when they took it out, so when it caused an open wound the infection went straight into my bloodstream

I'm terrified a) my cavity in wisdom tooth will have the same outcome and b) both my wisdom teeth have an infection I'm not aware of yet until the operation

M

MumOfBoys1985

I personally would take anything written in the Daily Fail with a massive pinch of salt. Its likely to be exaggerated enormously.

Fluoxetine is prozac which is an anti-depressant - thats nothing to do with sepsis or infections. Paracetamol is standard pain relief you can buy for 19p in a supermarket so hardly anything to be excited about.

Most people with a dental infection know about it. Its unlikely you'll get to a point where you have sepsis from a tooth and not know about it. Its very hard to be rational when you're phobic of something.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
That's hysterical reporting to put it mildly. The infection/sepsis had nothing to do with the wisdom tooth, it was a severe post op infection, which can happen but is incredibly rare. Basically some very nasty bacteria got into the extraction socket, which is why following post-extraction guidelines is a good idea.

T

thisisme

Hi all, I went to a dentist a few days ago and she informed me that I have a cavity on my upper wisdom tooth. So I have been referred for removal (along with my impacted lower wisdom tooth but that's a different story!).

My fear is that as it has a cavity, can it cause sepsis when it is removed? I do not have any infections I think. I'm worried that when the cavity filled upper wisdom tooth is removed, sepsis will develop from the open wound?

I just read a news report on how a girl in the UK experienced this and I am terrified.
I had a horrible cavity in my upper wisdom tooth and it was extracted by my dentist. No problems at all. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. The professionals already answered your question... just wanted to share my experience. 🙂

L

ldngirl2021

I had a horrible cavity in my upper wisdom tooth and it was extracted by my dentist. No problems at all. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. The professionals already answered your question... just wanted to share my experience. 🙂
I’m glad it went well! Thank you for sharing ☺

M

Monarchandthemilkweed

I had cavities in my wisdom teeth. They had never fully come through the gums. I was told to have them out but never did until i developed some cavities. All 4 were removed easily at the same time and I had no problem recovering