• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cervical X-Ray

T

Theblurredface

I'm sorry to post in this section again so soon I really don't want to be annoying I would just really appreciate some input on this, probably it would be best coming from a medical professional but I'll absolutely take any suggestion.
I have back pain and the doctor today could see a visible problem with my spine and has ordered a full set of X rays, the issue would be covered by the two lower X rays I think but he's ordered a set of cervical ones too. I know my teeth will be visible in them and I know there are some serious problems they will be able to see. Yes I'm aware they're not looking for them but I doubt he'll completely ignore them when he sees them, he's an attentive doctor. And I'm not ready to see that either, my phobia is too severe it will freak me out.

Does anyone, medical professional or otherwise, have any advice on what I can ask of the radiographer to get them to not image my face? Can it be done? I don't have neck pain, the doctor is just covering his bases, would it be unreasonable to ask them to just not image that high up because I can't cope with it? It will be mortifying to have to start explaining my phobia and reasoning to a random person trying to get my X rays done on a schedule but I will if it could help.

I just googled some images of cervical films. Even as a dentist and looking specifically at the teeth on the films, there's almost no dental information to be seen there.
Having said that, it's your body, you can give or withdraw your consent for any medical procedure, so you can tell your doctor you don't want the films...

I just googled some images of cervical films. Even as a dentist and looking specifically at the teeth on the films, there's almost no dental information to be seen there.
Having said that, it's your body, you can give or withdraw your consent for any medical procedure, so you can tell your doctor you don't want the films...
Thank you, I was really worried because the back teeth seem visible in the lateral view and I know I definitely have problems there. I'm still not sure what to do but I really appreciate you taking the time to look at that and give me an informed opinion

I could see teeth in the films, but not much detail. I very much doubt any doctor will know enough about dentistry to make any kind of comment (disclaimer, my son's a doctor, he knows virtually nothing about teeth!)

I could see teeth in the films, but not much detail. I very much doubt any doctor will know enough about dentistry to make any kind of comment (disclaimer, my son's a doctor, he knows virtually nothing about teeth!)
My brain is still majorly 'what if-ing' but that is somewhat reassuring so thank you. I have a very attentive and thorough GP and I'm still concerned that something will look very obviously wrong and he will notice and tell me, and that'll be it, it'll be stuck worrying me for god knows how long until I can resolve it somehow. And I know there's a whole separate conversation to be had about how I shouldn't be ignoring/avoiding facing dental problems but at the moment my phobia is too severe and my mental health is too poor. But thank you for your reassurance

Back