• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chair position

I have never been asked by my dentist about chair position, I would like her to see what she is doing whilst checking my mouth.

Also I like to be out the chair as quick as possible sometimes.

And sometimes I wish the dentist chair was in another room, I think all the times most of the time very low down, I still get a ride in her magic chair as an adult.

I have never been asked by my dentist about chair position, I would like her to see what she is doing whilst checking my mouth.

Also I like to be out the chair as quick as possible sometimes.

I agree 100% the easier it is for the dentist, the faster it goes for the patient and for the dentist. Would rather lay all the way down and have the work done properly the first time.

I have to trust the dentist to be okay with lying back to far... and I absolutely hate lying back wtih any type of goop or impressions in my mouth or when they do the root canals and they are taking an xray with the file in your mouth to see how its giong.. i feel like if i'm laying back it will fall out . or when they are trying stuff in.. if its working like a filling or something, i'm ok with it if its a dentist I'm cool with.

At my dentists in Leeds in the 1970s, the chairs ( two identical in each surgery) seemed to be rather dated, although they probably weren't that old - late 1960s vintage probably. They were more upright than a modern chair and could only be raised, lowered and tilted back and forth. As I recall, the backrest couldn't normally be moved. I refused to sit in them. There was something indescribably unpleasant about them. Fortunately, when I finally had to take a seat to have some baby teeth out, they had been replaced by much newer chairs. I relaxed !

I believe they were made by Siemens in Germany, which might explain the concept of functionality over aesthetics.

During the filling I just had, I somehow got reclined ALL the way back (I think past 180 degrees) without noticing. I’m not entirely sure how my dentist pulled that off. I’m trying to remember at what point the chair started to move from only semi-reclined and I honestly have no recollection...but I remember all of the procedure so I didn’t black out :unsure:. When she finished she told me not to get up too quickly as I may get dizzy and that’s actually when I noticed how far back I was. She must have been doing it gradually or distracting me with lots of talking :confused:.

For me it makes my fight or flight instinct kick in. Upright you are not vulnerable and can run if you want. Once prone, flight is not an option and there is a significant danger that the amagdela might cause fight to kick in. Not only do I panic when too far back in the chair, but I worry for the dentist's safety. It would never be a conscious action, I'm not a violent person, but what if I lashed out?

Beyond that I have encountered some dentists who were very snooty with me when I didn't want to go back in the chair... but then, I walk out and refuse treatment from them if they are like that because I immediately feel unsafe with them.

'but then, I walk out and refuse treatment from them if they are like that because I immediately feel unsafe with them.[/QUOTE]"

Absolutely love this!

I saw that when they do extraction of teeth and wisdom ones(hate those) dentist like to pull it all the way down. I cannot imagine how that is of any help and comfort to the patient. I'd perfer to sit or semi sit when. I get heavy breathing and I could choke, bit the dentist or assistent, swallow a lot more saliva and in the fit of panic swallow the tooth.

Hi,

Would like to add to this thread my video about comfort breathing in the treatment chair. I think it has good and practical tips about this important topic.

I saw that when they do extraction of teeth and wisdom ones(hate those) dentist like to pull it all the way down. I cannot imagine how that is of any help and comfort to the patient. I'd perfer to sit or semi sit when. I get heavy breathing and I could choke, bit the dentist or assistent, swallow a lot more saliva and in the fit of panic swallow the tooth.

I suspect the reason for this is for the dentist to be able to have a good sight on the tooth that is been working on and also being able to reach it. Far back molars, particularly the upper ones are not easy to reach so being tipped back helps the dentist to get to them comfortably. This again makes the procedure easier, quicker and of higher quality. Anyway, it's all about trust and about communication so I would say it's always good to let the dentist know if there are any concerns of preferences when it comes to the chair position. Being tipped back gradually and with some distraction techniques, as kitkat mentioned above might help.
By the way, if a tooth gets removed, it's the assistant's job to hold the suction instrument in place to catch any particles and the tooth once it's out.

I don't mind being tipped back, but laid FLAT is really uncomfortable. I can feel the blood rushing to my head and it definitely gives a feeling of lack of control! Fortunately I can keep myself fairly calm, and I try to pay attention to my breathing and my hands every few minutes, and consciously take some slow, deep breaths through my nose, and unclench my hands and make them relax. I try to sort of detach myself from whatever sensations are happening in my mouth if I can. I've never complained about the chair position, as I want the dentist to be comfortable and get the work done as quickly as possible.

I definitely hate the feeling of coming up rather then going down more. My dentist though is quite different to ones that I’ve had in the past as in when he brings me back up into the sitting position he will make me sit in that position for about 5mins by either talking to me about what he had just found and what he thinks treatment should be rather then telling me everything while lying down. This is actually much better because it feels like a better conversation that I’m in control of. My first appointment once he had done the examination and x rays ect he actually sat me in a chair in front of a computer away from to he dental chair and equipment and showed me everything including x rays ect. This was a more informal but it made me feel like I was in control and that he was giving me options which I don’t think I’ve ever had with dentists before. I actually trust him so much with my care because he takes the time to explain what he is doing before the procedure and lays me back when I’m ready and then coming back up he chats again which gives me time to recalibrate my balance and not feel dizzy when standing back up. And also if I say I’m really nervous he will chat to me about those nerves and will talk me through everything.

Two points I’d like to make that are related to chairs in general:

1. Just seeing the chair itself, let alone sitting in it, makes my heart plummet into my stomach. My childhood dentist’s chairs were much more reminisce of that “old haunted asylum” style, where everything was purely functional and never comfort or aesthetic. The newer kind are much nicer. They look a BIT more like regular leather furniture, or like a car’s interior, and it makes a small difference. They just don’t look as scary as the old kind.

2. Personally, I don’t like being laid back, but I tolerate it. I don’t think I’d like sitting up, either. I just don’t like the way they practically tip you backwards. The backward angle is very slight but it feels like I’m going to slide right down the head side of the chair, and sometimes it triggers my vertigo.

I wish I had something better to do with my hands. the arms of dentist chairs are so small nowadays. I need something so my hands can “white knuckle it” through the appointment. Everything above my shoulders is occupied but my limbs end up feeling too unsecure. Like an imbalance of weight or sensation, I guess. It makes me feel like I’m either losing connection with my body or super hyperaware of its “lightness”. Wearing the x-ray vest does help with this.

I despise lying there with my head lower than my feet, it is terribly uncomfortable. Water from the spray tends to go back into my throat and I can't properly swallow. I am so afraid of choking and/or gagging. I don't mind being reclined, but please don't put me back so far. The amount of recline one has in a reclining chair would be fine. My previous dentist was trained in Russia or thereabouts and he said he was trained to work on patients sitting up so it really wasn't a problem for him. But he left the practice and then left dentistry altogether.

I just don't like being laid so far back. TBH it makes me feel a bit queasy. I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in ages (the whole Covid thing) and she tilted me back so far it felt like I was going upside down. I thought it was my imagination, but now I see it's become the trendy thing to do. When I went to the dentist as a kid in the '80s (and I'm sure in the '90s) they never tilted me so far back - tilted back, but still slightly upright. This whole thing seems to be about what is best for dentists and not what is best for patients. I'm thinking I just won't go back.

Back