Chair position

T

Thephilsblogbar

I have never been asked by my dentist about chair position, I would like her to see what she is doing whilst checking my mouth.

Also I like to be out the chair as quick as possible sometimes.

T

Thephilsblogbar

And sometimes I wish the dentist chair was in another room, I think all the times most of the time very low down, I still get a ride in her magic chair as an adult.

P

Paranoidpatient

I have never been asked by my dentist about chair position, I would like her to see what she is doing whilst checking my mouth.

Also I like to be out the chair as quick as possible sometimes.
I agree 100% the easier it is for the dentist, the faster it goes for the patient and for the dentist. Would rather lay all the way down and have the work done properly the first time.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
I have to trust the dentist to be okay with lying back to far... and I absolutely hate lying back wtih any type of goop or impressions in my mouth or when they do the root canals and they are taking an xray with the file in your mouth to see how its giong.. i feel like if i'm laying back it will fall out . or when they are trying stuff in.. if its working like a filling or something, i'm ok with it if its a dentist I'm cool with.

V

vienna

At my dentists in Leeds in the 1970s, the chairs ( two identical in each surgery) seemed to be rather dated, although they probably weren't that old - late 1960s vintage probably. They were more upright than a modern chair and could only be raised, lowered and tilted back and forth. As I recall, the backrest couldn't normally be moved. I refused to sit in them. There was something indescribably unpleasant about them. Fortunately, when I finally had to take a seat to have some baby teeth out, they had been replaced by much newer chairs. I relaxed !

I believe they were made by Siemens in Germany, which might explain the concept of functionality over aesthetics.

kitkat

kitkat

Forum Buddy
During the filling I just had, I somehow got reclined ALL the way back (I think past 180 degrees) without noticing. I’m not entirely sure how my dentist pulled that off. I’m trying to remember at what point the chair started to move from only semi-reclined and I honestly have no recollection...but I remember all of the procedure so I didn’t black out :unsure:. When she finished she told me not to get up too quickly as I may get dizzy and that’s actually when I noticed how far back I was. She must have been doing it gradually or distracting me with lots of talking :confused:.

D

Dawn65

For me it makes my fight or flight instinct kick in. Upright you are not vulnerable and can run if you want. Once prone, flight is not an option and there is a significant danger that the amagdela might cause fight to kick in. Not only do I panic when too far back in the chair, but I worry for the dentist's safety. It would never be a conscious action, I'm not a violent person, but what if I lashed out?

Beyond that I have encountered some dentists who were very snooty with me when I didn't want to go back in the chair... but then, I walk out and refuse treatment from them if they are like that because I immediately feel unsafe with them.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
'but then, I walk out and refuse treatment from them if they are like that because I immediately feel unsafe with them.[/QUOTE]"

Absolutely love this!

L

lena25

I saw that when they do extraction of teeth and wisdom ones(hate those) dentist like to pull it all the way down. I cannot imagine how that is of any help and comfort to the patient. I'd perfer to sit or semi sit when. I get heavy breathing and I could choke, bit the dentist or assistent, swallow a lot more saliva and in the fit of panic swallow the tooth.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

Would like to add to this thread my video about comfort breathing in the treatment chair. I think it has good and practical tips about this important topic.

Enarete

Enarete

Forum Buddy
I saw that when they do extraction of teeth and wisdom ones(hate those) dentist like to pull it all the way down. I cannot imagine how that is of any help and comfort to the patient. I'd perfer to sit or semi sit when. I get heavy breathing and I could choke, bit the dentist or assistent, swallow a lot more saliva and in the fit of panic swallow the tooth.
I suspect the reason for this is for the dentist to be able to have a good sight on the tooth that is been working on and also being able to reach it. Far back molars, particularly the upper ones are not easy to reach so being tipped back helps the dentist to get to them comfortably. This again makes the procedure easier, quicker and of higher quality. Anyway, it's all about trust and about communication so I would say it's always good to let the dentist know if there are any concerns of preferences when it comes to the chair position. Being tipped back gradually and with some distraction techniques, as kitkat mentioned above might help.
By the way, if a tooth gets removed, it's the assistant's job to hold the suction instrument in place to catch any particles and the tooth once it's out.