• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Checking off my fears.

conqueringfears

conqueringfears

Oh hello my dear support community. I have to start this off by saying how much I appreciate the cheering on and advice that has been given to me. I have been in the dental chair two times in the last month for exams and treatment plans. These two times have been the first time I have been in the dental chair for 7 years. I have been avoidant due to fear.

I had a cavity that progressed. I slowly watched it get worse, full of fear and anxiety which was greater than me taking care of it when it hadn't progressed. Fast forward to last month, I woke up to a deeper break in the tooth and I had a fire light under me, I couldn't wait anymore. Tomorrow is step one in my healing and taking care of my teeth. I am getting root canal treatment on #31. I have struggled to eat, sleep and basically be a talking and breathing human being these last few days.

Once I get the RCT on #31, I will go back to my regular dentist for a filling, to get #31 crowned and to get another crown on a previous tooth that had RCT. Then I will go back for a more comprehensive exam to see if I have any more fillings or issues. My next and biggest leap of bravery after all of this will be a root canal retreatment on #3 and a consult with an oral surgeon for my wisdom teeth.
  • Thursday, April 21st, 2022: Root canal on #31.
  • Post RCT: Crown on #31
  • Filling on #30
  • Crown on #19
  • Retreatment on #3
Here's to step one. I am praying for a miracle of bravery and a sound mind and heart to get me to where I should be with my oral health. Here's to feeling good again, comfortable and healthy.

Praying also for courage and a great calm and your dental team to treat you incredibly kindly and well tomorrow. Hope all goes well , let us know!

Great first steps! You’ve got this, honestly, you’ll do great! please keep us updates, all will be hoping for a comfortable, smooth procedure.

@krlovesherkids777 Hi! I did it! I was so scared but I did it. The care team was amazing. I am so relieved. Thank you SO MUCH.

@Scaredbutready I survived my biggest fear this morning and did it! It was smooth, other than my own anxiety and some nausea after the injections. I am so happy I did it. My tooth is on its way back to being healthy again. :)

Congratulations!! Such amazing news! I’m sure you feel such relief. And I can assure you that it does get easier. so Glad your experience was so positive. Be proud of yourself!!

Hi everyone! Here's an update. I am 4 days post root canal treatment. The morning of my RCT I was so sick, crying, anxious and absolutely terrified. I could barely speak in the dental chair. I expressed my fear of needles and an allergic reaction to the dentist. He told me not to worry and expressed his sincere validation in how my fears made sense. He made me feel better, but my heart was racing. It was that way most of the appointment due to my anxiety.

He gave one injection and then another. I cried. Not out of pain, from relief. I was so scared and I just made it through that fear. My first time in 7 years with any medical injection at all. I needed two more injections to totally numb me because my tooth was hurting badly, but 4 painless and easy shots later, I was ready. I took a deep breath and had some water. I felt so uncomfortable. Lots of nausea and my heart was racing like I mentioned earlier. I sat through it and I did it. I DID IT.

Post root canal I was exhausted and felt crummy, mostly due to alllll of the tension in my body. I was definitely sore and that peaked at about 48 hours later. 4 days later, it's getting better. Still sore to bite and I have a few small canker sores where the injections were placed.

I had IMMEDIATE RELIEF of the crazy sensitivity I had for almost 2 years. I could also floss without pain.

I have my crown appointment scheduled for Thursday at 10:30AM. I am very nervous but so happy to get the crown on and have my tooth be totally protected. I am also getting a filling that day too.

After Thursday's appointment, I will have a root canal retreatment/crown on #3. Then I need another crown on another tooth. Then I will have a full exam and a good cleaning, hopefully no more fillings. I can't say I am not nervous for the crown and filling, but I know that even with fear, I WILL BE OKAY. I will survive the anxiety and discomfort.

Back