• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chipped crown and now bone loss

P

Perez818

So I went to the dentist in September and was told everything looked fine.
I went back in October because my bottom molar that had a crown on it had been slightly irritated. Was told again everything is fine.
went back in November for jaw pain and wisdom teeth X-ray and slight pain again on crown and once again told I was fine.
well, I just went this week and was told the crown is chipped and place wrong and there could be decay around or under it now and or bone loss. Someone not at the dentist office took a look at the picture and said I would need a root canal. I don’t have pain
I only bleed when I floss which was fine I went in.
my dentist didn’t mention needing root canal only that I needed a new crown.
the crown that is currently on is barely two years old.
it’s extremely frustrating. I just paid it off and now I’m going to have to pay $1400 for a new one. My question is
Looking at the X-ray will I need a root canal? I need to reschedule could this be delayed a few weeks?

Attachments

• 220A900D-6479-4396-9E5E-3E7A21C08FE5.jpeg
    220A900D-6479-4396-9E5E-3E7A21C08FE5.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 23
You can't tell if you need a root canal from just an x-ray (most of the time). The crown looks as if it's placed OK to me. Has the dentist said they want to replace it?

You can't tell if you need a root canal from just an x-ray (most of the time). The crown looks as if it's placed OK to me. Has the dentist said they want to replace it?
She said it would be best to replace because of the bone loss of cavity she can see forming in the side. So she will be able to tell if I need a root canal after removing the crown?
would I have pain though if a root canal was needed?

Not necessarily, for both questions, to tell if a root canal is needed you need to check if the nerve in the tooth is dead or alive. There are several different ways to do this.

Not necessarily, for both questions, to tell if a root canal is needed you need to check if the nerve in the tooth is dead or alive. There are several different ways to do this.
Okay so I would discuss that with the dentist this week.
from the X-ray above does there look like there’s bone loss?
Or just inflammation ?
or a cavity?
mom really stressed out about it. Especially having to remove the crown and pay another $1400k
I don’t work. My parents just passed I had to pay for some of their funeral and it’s just a lot for me right now :(

This is the gum next to my back molar and crown. It looks weird. And still bleeds whenever I floss between those two teeth.

Attachments

• 156BAA2E-1244-40BF-A1B9-F9EEC649DFE7.jpeg
    156BAA2E-1244-40BF-A1B9-F9EEC649DFE7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
There's no cavity. It looks like the fitting surface of the crown has a small gap near the gum margin, which is acting as a trap for plaque. THat's why it bleeds when you floss it. Time for a 2 way discussion with the dentist as to what they think it needs to fix it.

There's no cavity. It looks like the fitting surface of the crown has a small gap near the gum margin, which is acting as a trap for plaque. THat's why it bleeds when you floss it. Time for a 2 way discussion with the dentist as to what they think it needs to fix it.
I’m suppose to go tomorrow but leave on vacation in two weeks.
If they want to replace crown for sure.. could I wait untill June after I come back? I had my 6 month in September 2020 everything was fine. I went back in October for some odd pressure but everything was fine: and then again in November because I was grinding my teeth a lot it was causing cheek pain. But they said everything was overall fine.
could this wait a few more weeks? I called my dentist and they’re going to call me back.

It could wait for months never mind weeks :)

I’ve posted here a few times.
I was suppose to get a crown removed that’s barely 2 years old.
I was on vacation longer than expected.
Well the gums around my crown are still the same. Swelled a tad bit because of the food getting trapped between the crown and back molar. There’s a also a small chip they found in the X-ray. They told me it would be best to remove the crown since in the X-ray there’s either severe gum inflammation or bone loss.
Which terrified me because back 2 years ago I was diagnosed with mild periodontal disease. I was getting checked every 4 months. And back in September 2020 I was told my periodontal magically disappeared. Which I also found very strange because when I was diagnosed with it they told me it was irreversible. And I spent thousands of dollars on correcting it/maintaining it. When I went to get my crown checked I asked them if the periodontal possible cause this gum issue around the crown. They didn’t recheck pockets even though I told them I still bleed when flossing. Not every day. But at least every week. Im worried I’m going to pay another $1k plus for a new crown for the same thing to happen. Im also terrified I’ll end up needing a root canal once they pop off the crown. Because of the damage being done to the weak tooth (possible decayed)underneath. Here’s an update of the gums and the X-ray taken.
Also after getting my temp crown could I continue working out? I lift weights 5x a week.

Attachments

• 3C7D5A56-51DD-40BA-AADC-E54FE72B5B7E.jpeg
    3C7D5A56-51DD-40BA-AADC-E54FE72B5B7E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • B87C1211-571D-45BB-9A07-33F3D6A3596E.jpeg
    B87C1211-571D-45BB-9A07-33F3D6A3596E.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 11
Sure, why not?
I just got my new temp crown yesterday! Had slight discomfort at night so I took Motrin.
woke up feeling okay!
map I’ll be lifting today! Thanks Gordon ?❤️

Back