• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

chipped tooth or breakaway of tartar?

L

lba

today i was running my tongue over my teeth when i noticed a jagged edge on the inside of my two front bottom teeth. i had to go the whole day without looking as i was at school but as i got home i became paranoid and rubbed my finger against it which caused a few other little chunks to fall off. i then got really scared and brushed my teeth, focusing on that area, which made me bleed and the gap feels a lot bigger. when i look in the mirror it doesn't necessarily look weird but it feels horrible like i've chipped my tooth. i don't know whats wrong but i am too scared to consult my dentist as i'm just scared of dentists in general. i'm always afraid that they'll take a tooth out or something and with this time my problem tooth being in the front of my face the fear is even worse. please please please if you have any insight to what might be going on reply to this because i will obsess and panic over this until eventually something worse happens. would appreciate any ideas really.

Hi there, well I cannot tell you what's wrong, but if it was a breakaway of tartar, then you might benefit from a good cleaning in order to remove it. If it was a chipped tooth (which would look like a chipped tooth), then it can get filled very easily. What I can tell you is that your dentist won't pull any of your teeth, no matter what it is that happened, that's not like dentists work. So I understand that you are scared and therefore would like to avoid to see a dentist, however it might be a good idea to find a kind one and let him/her take a look.

Back