• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chipped tooth, Pics inside! :/

M

moorie

I had a filling in my second molar about 18 months ago, quite deep my dentist said but completely pain free. All has been well since until today when my tooth chipped on some.. chicken!
I still have the majority of it in there including the filling but the tongue side of the tooth has chipped from the top to just above the gun line.

Booked in for an appointment on Monday.. any ideas what is likely to be said? I always fear the worst! I have no pain at the moment, I can just really feel cold things!fill.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Moorie,

This is quite a common occurrence. A thin wall of enamel breaks off, tends to be on the tongue side in lower teeth and cheek side in upper teeth.
Your dentist is most likely to suggest either patching the filling up or placing a crown.
Patching the filling is the most simple and least expensive solution. However, the risk is that other bits of the tooth will go the same way, and eventually, there will not be enough tooth left for a crown.
A crown is more expensive and involves two visits. The tooth is trimmed into a thimble shape, an impression taken at the first visit. A dental technician then constructs a porcelain or metal crown (also known as a cap) which is cemented over the remains of the tooth at a second visit. This is the best option for long term success.

Hope this helps

Lincoln

Thank you for that drhirst!

I suppose I should go for the long term solution, I am on the NHS so I believe the max cost for dental treatment is £204 (~$330) Should I expect any particular discomfort?

Once again, thanks for all your help!

Kevin

Back