• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Choosing a crown - can you guys help me with my dilemma?

T

Tink

So bacon sandwiches aside, I have a bit of a dilemma that I'm pondering at the moment and maybe you guys can help me decide.

I'm in the process of replacing a very old crown on LR6. The tooth has been re-root-canalled recently and all is well, now it's time to think about the new crown. Appointment for the crown prep is next week.

So my old crown is metal, gold-coloured (done on the NHS 17/18 years ago so no idea if it contains any/much actual gold), and I've had it so long I've kind of got used to it being there. It's halfway back on the bottom, so not all that visible and most people who know me don't actually realise I have a gold tooth at all.

Up until recently, I'd always assumed when the time came I'd replace it with a tooth-coloured crown, but now that it comes to it, suddenly I'm not so sure.

I've talked over the options with my dentist and we've narrowed it down to either emax (a really good tooth-coloured crown, he says he can make it look just like my natural teeth) or a new, better gold crown. He's happy to do either.

Clinically there's not much in it, both materials are really good, suitable for the tooth, and the dentist is excellent so I know he will put a lot of effort into it and do a good job. The cost is similar too. So it all comes down to...do I get a crown that restores it to how it used to look, back when I had a real tooth there...or do I upgrade my old crown for a newer, shinier, prettier gold crown?

I thought it would be a no-brainer...but...I'm oddly reluctant to lose my gold tooth. It's been there so long it's kind of part of me now - like how scars can sometimes be, you carry a record of your life around with you. Suddenly I'm finding myself tempted to go for the gold one and have it as a sort of "statement" tooth. Like a medal for coming so far with my phobia, a memento of the journey. It's a tiny bit like the way somebody might get a tattoo or a piercing to commemorate something. It's in just the right spot for it, only really noticeable if I decide to show it to somebody - and my dentist says he can make one that looks much better than what I have, more like jewellery for your teeth.

Am I completely off my head, or does any of this make sense?

Am pondering this one over the next few days, trying to work out how I really feel before I make a decision that could affect me for the next 10 years++

...but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, phobic friends!

Tink

So bacon sandwiches aside, I have a bit of a dilemma that I'm pondering at the moment and maybe you guys can help me decide.

I'm in the process of replacing a very old crown on LR6. The tooth has been re-root-canalled recently and all is well, now it's time to think about the new crown. Appointment for the crown prep is next week.

So my old crown is metal, gold-coloured (done on the NHS 17/18 years ago so no idea if it contains any/much actual gold), and I've had it so long I've kind of got used to it being there. It's halfway back on the bottom, so not all that visible and most people who know me don't actually realise I have a gold tooth at all.

Up until recently, I'd always assumed when the time came I'd replace it with a tooth-coloured crown, but now that it comes to it, suddenly I'm not so sure.

I've talked over the options with my dentist and we've narrowed it down to either emax (a really good tooth-coloured crown, he says he can make it look just like my natural teeth) or a new, better gold crown. He's happy to do either.

Clinically there's not much in it, both materials are really good, suitable for the tooth, and the dentist is excellent so I know he will put a lot of effort into it and do a good job. The cost is similar too. So it all comes down to...do I get a crown that restores it to how it used to look, back when I had a real tooth there...or do I upgrade my old crown for a newer, shinier, prettier gold crown?

I thought it would be a no-brainer...but...I'm oddly reluctant to lose my gold tooth. It's been there so long it's kind of part of me now - like how scars can sometimes be, you carry a record of your life around with you. Suddenly I'm finding myself tempted to go for the gold one and have it as a sort of "statement" tooth. Like a medal for coming so far with my phobia, a memento of the journey. It's a tiny bit like the way somebody might get a tattoo or a piercing to commemorate something. It's in just the right spot for it, only really noticeable if I decide to show it to somebody - and my dentist says he can make one that looks much better than what I have, more like jewellery for your teeth.

Am I completely off my head, or does any of this make sense?

Am pondering this one over the next few days, trying to work out how I really feel before I make a decision that could affect me for the next 10 years++

...but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, phobic friends!

Tink

is the emax made of zirconia?

No, I don't think so. It's "lithium disilicate ceramic" according to Google. Solid ceramic I think. A relatively new material but gets very good results. My dentist doesn't recommend all zirconia for that tooth as it's too hard.

Porcelain fused to high noble metal was an option, but I have one of those on a top left tooth and I'm not too keen on it so that's put me off those. Although I'm told that's mainly because the one I have just isn't a very good one, it wasn't well made.

I'm confident that if I go for tooth-coloured then emax is the right option for me. I just dunno whether to go tooth-coloured or gold!

All 4 of mine are tooth-colored (so are all of my fillings). All of my dental work has been done in the last 10 years, so I'm sure that's why. So, for me, I would do tooth-colored. But, I totally understand why you would want to do a gold one.

I also understand your reluctance to lose the gold, it will be like losing an old friend. I would be tempted to go for the tooth coloured but I think I would keep my gold colour because I am used to it and I like it. Mine is on the same tooth you are having crowned and they are far enough back that they don't stand out but near enough when we laugh that they can be seen.

Unfortunately for you the choice has to be yours, I don't envy you.

How do you deal with change?

If the answer is not very well then go for gold. If you think you can get used to the difference then go for tooth coloured.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover::butterfly:

I have this pink temp filling on my tooth that will get a crown - no 12, so quiet visible if I smile big. So I asked the dentist the other day if she could make the crown pink as well as I a getting used tot he colour :giggle: She laughed :giggle:

If you like the gold keep it. There is no pressure of choosing white over gold .

Wow, I've never heard of a pink temporary filling! I suppose it could be a fashion statement, of sorts ;D

I'm still torn between what I feel I 'ought' to want and what I actually want, although I think I'm heading towards going with what I actually want (gold), just need to find the courage to say "f**k it" and go for it! There's not so much to lose really, worst that happens is my teeth look pretty much the same as they do now.

Wow, I've never heard of a pink temporary filling! I suppose it could be a fashion statement, of sorts ;D

I'm still torn between what I feel I 'ought' to want and what I actually want, although I think I'm heading towards going with what I actually want (gold), just need to find the courage to say "f**k it" and go for it! There's not so much to lose really, worst that happens is my teeth look pretty much the same as they do now.

It is some fancy antibacterial closing material that tastes like strawberry gumi-bears for days :love:

:jump: Gold is gold right? I mean at least that tooth can feel more special while the others look the same - just considering how your tooth might feel about it. :jump:

Hah, I love that!

"I'm not crazy, I'm just trying to make my pet tooth feel special..." :grin:

It sounds like you know what you want. Don't worry about what you think you should want. Go for the gold! It makes you happy, and it is a very good restoration.

I do. As much as I keep trying to wriggle myself out of it, I do know what I want.

I also want a forum smilie with a gold tooth...or a pink tooth! ;D

If it helps you, I think that a gold crown can be done by removing a little bit less tooth than a tooth-colored one... In case you need another reason to do what you want :)

That is true Fearful :)

Was just browsing on facebook and I saw this. Reminded me on your dilemma. Seems teeth like being gold :giggle:

[broken link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's perfect! Very apt :ROFLMAO:

So today's the day...am going for gold!

I'm remarkably chilled about the actual treatment, my own dentist this time and after two long sessions of root canal I know the tooth really is dead as a doornail so there's no way I can feel anything. Maybe I'm finally getting somewhere :)

Tink - wishing you all the best today! I'm so glad you're feeling ok about the appointment. Please let us know how it goes.

I hope it went well. Do update us :)

Hello, crown prep all went smoothly today, no problems at all - thanks for your encouragement folks ;D I was much less anxious than usual, I think all that time my dentist and I spent on desensitisation is finally paying off.

I have a (white) temp crown in at the moment, and a new shiny gold one to be fitted in a couple of weeks.

Yay! I'm glad it went well for you :)

Back