• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Choosing you’re dentist

Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy

As I am currently trying to look in my for a dentist that will be able to take care of all my needs I have this question rolling around in my mind.

How did you know when you had the right one,did they meet all of your criteria ,were they able to take care of all your needs, was it the staff that made the difference I just want to know what sold you on your dentist

Such a good question..I know for me, my last one that I just loved. he made me feel immediately at ease , and even laugh by the end of the appt. He gave me a pain free shot first time around and he really took time to listen and understand me, he wasn't pushy or condescending or shaming and I felt genuinely welcome there. He also was confident he could help me and made it like it would be easy for him. I felt such a peace I cannot explain.. Also the assistants were so kind and reassuring which totally helped .. as well as the front office seeming to really make things easy and not confusing like some offices I've been to. I would say make sure you feel a peace like they truly care, listen and you are a human not just a number or manican head, I've had those too and its a world of difference.

I seen a number of dentists at the practice I have attended over the years I been going to the dentist.

The bed side manner is always important, I see the current owner of the practice who has a very good assistant. the dentist before I think he made me nervous and over treated my teeth

Such a good question..I know for me, my last one that I just loved. he made me feel immediately at ease , and even laugh by the end of the appt. He gave me a pain free shot first time around and he really took time to listen and understand me, he wasn't pushy or condescending or shaming and I felt genuinely welcome there. He also was confident he could help me and made it like it would be easy for him. I felt such a peace I cannot explain.. Also the assistants were so kind and reassuring which totally helped .. as well as the front office seeming to really make things easy and not confusing like some offices I've been to. I would say make sure you feel a peace like they truly care, listen and you are a human not just a number or manican head, I've had those too and its a world of difference.

That’s one thing that really scares me is that I’m afraid that I’ll pick the wrong one and it’ll just be a place where they don’t really care about me or like I’m just another person to them that’s what I’m really afraid of because I don’t wanna go through that again

My experience is unusual because I did not pick my dentist. She was randomly selected for me while I was still a minor and forced to see her by my mother. BUT I can tell you why I kept seeing her after I turned 18... 2 Major Reasons: First, she communicates with me honestly/openly/compassionately and Second, she earned my trust (mostly through communication). This is something that developed over many, many, many appointments. The Catch 22 here is you really don't know until you're in treatment...you can get a first impression from a consultation with them but I didn't like my dentist at my first consult so it's bit an exact science. You can also ask friends for recommendations, peruse dentist websites and read online reviews but even these will not guarantee anything 100%. It's a bit of trial/error, making informed decisions, and a dash of luck!

I so hear you. I did do a little experiment the first time my dentist left , I didn't know where he was so to get my courage up. I facebooked dental offices and some of the dentists themselves got back to me and a few offered a no cost meet and greet to see if I felt comfortable and it was a good match.. Well those dentists that offered that.. 2 of them were very caring , I have no doubt they would be great dentists who really care for their patients. I didn't end up doing because I ended up finding my dentist again, but meeting them both was a great experience . The first she was only concerned about me and my experiences, didn't try to sell her self or even talk about herself but it was all about "why are you anxious and what can we do to help you " they were phenomenal!!! The next guy actually set up a time after last patient so it wouldn't be a rush, he gave me the tour but talked to me out in the waiting room like friends shooting the breeze and really seemed concerned as well. I think meeting them before treatment at a simliar meet and great to get a feeling for them. is a tactic I really appreciate now! I didn't even sit in the dental chair in neither but got a great feel. I sooo hear you as I would never want to be a number again. I hate it!! I want to know someone cares .. and values me as a patient even.

I so hear you. I did do a little experiment the first time my dentist left , I didn't know where he was so to get my courage up. I facebooked dental offices and some of the dentists themselves got back to me and a few offered a no cost meet and greet to see if I felt comfortable and it was a good match.. Well those dentists that offered that.. 2 of them were very caring , I have no doubt they would be great dentists who really care for their patients. I didn't end up doing because I ended up finding my dentist again, but meeting them both was a great experience . The first she was only concerned about me and my experiences, didn't try to sell her self or even talk about herself but it was all about "why are you anxious and what can we do to help you " they were phenomenal!!! The next guy actually set up a time after last patient so it wouldn't be a rush, he gave me the tour but talked to me out in the waiting room like friends shooting the breeze and really seemed concerned as well. I think meeting them before treatment at a simliar meet and great to get a feeling for them. is a tactic I really appreciate now! I didn't even sit in the dental chair in neither but got a great feel. I sooo hear you as I would never want to be a number again. I hate it!! I want to know someone cares .. and values me as a patient even.

So maybe I could message a couple over Facebook and see if they might be willing to do something like that for me

I highly encourage you to do this.. you will learn alot. some don't answer, some aren't as nice, but when you get the ones that are , it is worth it. I went to 3 of these types of visits 2 were great, the other one, not so much, I learned from that one too that I can have a choice and to really do my research :) Here is an example of the first lady I saw after a fb interaction:

Me: Hi I'm a very nervous patient who is quite ashamed of my teeth situation. Do you offer an appt to come and meet with the dentist before any treatment of exam is done, and how much would you charge for this? How do you deal with anxious patients? i'm not even sure where to start . I need alot of work and because of fear have put it off. Thanks

Dentist: thanks so much for reaching out to us! I know that coming in to see the dentist can be a very scary and nerve wracking experience. My team and I do everything we can to prevent anxiety and make every anxious patient as comfortable as possible while they are under our care. There is absolutely no charge to meet with me before a formal exam, and I would love to discuss all the ways that my team and I can help you restore confidence in your smile. Please give us a call next week (we are closed the remainder of this week) to schedule a time to meet. I admire your bravery for reaching out and I look forward to seeing you!

I highly encourage you to do this.. you will learn alot. some don't answer, some aren't as nice, but when you get the ones that are , it is worth it. I went to 3 of these types of visits 2 were great, the other one, not so much, I learned from that one too that I can have a choice and to really do my research :) Here is an example of the first lady I saw after a fb interaction:

Me: Hi I'm a very nervous patient who is quite ashamed of my teeth situation. Do you offer an appt to come and meet with the dentist before any treatment of exam is done, and how much would you charge for this? How do you deal with anxious patients? i'm not even sure where to start . I need alot of work and because of fear have put it off. Thanks

Dentist: thanks so much for reaching out to us! I know that coming in to see the dentist can be a very scary and nerve wracking experience. My team and I do everything we can to prevent anxiety and make every anxious patient as comfortable as possible while they are under our care. There is absolutely no charge to meet with me before a formal exam, and I would love to discuss all the ways that my team and I can help you restore confidence in your smile. Please give us a call next week (we are closed the remainder of this week) to schedule a time to meet. I admire your bravery for reaching out and I look forward to seeing you!

Thank you so much for your advice I don’t know where this journey of mine is going to take me but I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have this site to help me out

Thank you so much for your advice I don’t know where this journey of mine is going to take me but I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have this site to help me out

Ditto!! DFC has been an amazing support and community! Much better to come here and get support than start google and you tubing . I traded those for the support of DFC. and I can say definately the right thing to do :).. Hope you find a good dentist..:)

Dentist: thanks so much for reaching out to us! I know that coming in to see the dentist can be a very scary and nerve wracking experience. My team and I do everything we can to prevent anxiety and make every anxious patient as comfortable as possible while they are under our care. There is absolutely no charge to meet with me before a formal exam, and I would love
to discuss all the ways that my team and I can help you restore confidence in your smile. Please give us a call next week (we are closed the remainder of this week) to schedule a time to meet. I admire your bravery for reaching out and I look forward to seeing you!

So it worked the first office that I messaged yesterday really nice girl name Lauren messaged me the next day in the morning super nice she was so nice , she told me I could make appointment to come in and meet dentist and staff so I’m gonna try to make an appointment tomorrow if I have time

Last edited:
Mikeyboy.. This is awesome!! so happy for you that you connected with someone really nice and feel good about making an appt there.. You are well on your way.. and gaining some good positive momentum! :)

Mikeyboy.. This is awesome!! so happy for you that you connected with someone really nice and feel good about making an appt there.. You are well on your way.. and gaining some good positive momentum! :)

Thank you I’m very excited but I’m also very anxious and nervous at the same time

Hi,

Please allow me to offer my thoughts about it with the video I made just about this subject:

Hi,

Please allow me to offer my thoughts about it with the video I made just about this subject:

Thank you so much Dr.Daniel for you’re tips I really appreciate it

So I have a dilemma not a bad one but a dilemma none the less. So a friend of mine that I used to work with works at a different dental practice but it’s a practice that I think is chain practice and I know that’s red flag but I trust her so I don’t know what to do

Mikey boy

I can tell you my best dentist was part of a small chain, its the connection you have with the specific dentist and how they are , as well, I had my recent endo at a larger chain and I had a great experience..I spent along time looking for reviews of endos that were good with anxious patients, and this one had several, I was cautious of the chain factor at the same time, the dentist himself did a great job, if you get the name of one that she knows would be good good with anxious patients and they put patients over numbers then it might be a really good thing.

So I have a dilemma not a bad one but a dilemma none the less. So a friend of mine that I used to work with works at a different dental practice but it’s a practice that I think is chain practice and I know that’s red flag but I trust her so I don’t know what to do
I wouldn’t rule out completely just because it is a part of a chain (even though in videos I am very much against). Maybe it can work well in that specific practice??!

Mikey boy

I can tell you my best dentist was part of a small chain, its the connection you have with the specific dentist and how they are , as well, I had my recent endo at a larger chain and I had a great experience..I spent along time looking for reviews of endos that were good with anxious patients, and this one had several, I was cautious of the chain factor at the same time, the dentist himself did a great job, if you get the name of one that she knows would be good good with anxious patients and they put patients over numbers then it might be a really good thing.

Well from the reviews I read did say that the dentist was really good with anxious patients and people had good things to say about them

I wouldn’t rule out completely just because it is a part of a chain (even though in videos I am very much against). Maybe it can work well in that specific practice??!

Yeah and I guess the only thing that’s really has me concerned is the fact that some peoples reviews stated that they paid a lot of money for treatment

Back