• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chronic infected tooth extraction and I'm petrified

B

Bunnyface

I plucked up the courage to get a check up after 15 years. I have a tooth broken at the gumline and so decayed it has a chronic infection at the root according to my dentist. The bone etc he said was ok luckily. I'm booked in on Saturday to have it extracted but I'm terrified and have spent weeks googling horror stories.

It's tender now after being okay for a while so I'm guessing the infection has flared up again (as it does and has done for years) but I'm not on any antibiotics etc is this alright? I've spent so long googling the worst and I don't know what's what anymore! I'm not so much afraid of the pain, it's the procedure, the aftercare and complications I'm terrified of.

I don't know how I'm going to cope on Saturday I'm a wreck now over it!

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

It is said on here by the dentists that come on here that a root of a tooth is easy to extract because the tooth is dead so is no longer joined to the bone. The aftercare is simple, after 24hours gently rinse with warm saltwater, allowing it to dribble out of your mouth rather than spit it out. Spitting and sucking can cause the clot that forms to dislodge causing problems. The dentist will give you all the aftercare instructions.

It will be quick and it will be over before you even realise that it has been removed. There will be no pulling or tugging, the dentist will make sure you are really numb, they will prepare the tooth/root and gently lift it out.

Try not to stress too much it isn't going to be as bad as you are thinking. Good luck for Saturday, you will be fine.

Hi Bunnyface I know how you feel. I've had near constant stress leading up to a procedure that took its toll on me and similar to you I spent time googling for answers which led me nowhere but an endless maze of 'What if this happens, what if that..."

As hard as it might be I recommend not reading up on anymore horror stories because they quite literally serve no purpose but to stress you out even more. Every case is unique and there's no reason to believe an extreme example of what happened to one person will also happen to you. As mentioned in the post above, follow all of your dentists instructions carefully. They seem reputable based on your description. I hope everything goes well for you.

Back