• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chronic infection is gone! I feel so much better!

M

MountainMama

For those of you that don't know my story, I had a childhood injury to my front upper tooth. It was chipped and a filling was put on, and it never bothered me. 30 years later, it started hurting when I bit down. Went in and x rays showed a huge abscess. Apparently the tooth had died slowly over the years, and chronic infection finally caused an abscess. The endodontist said the size of the abscess indicated it had been there at least two years.

I had a root canal and apicoectomy, which both failed. Last week, on Tuesday, I finally had the tooth extracted, and the surgeon manually scraped out all the remaining infection, and even removed some bone that was affected. He put in bone grafting and an implant.

One week later, and I can tell a HUGE difference. I hadn't realized how much the chronic infection had sapped my energy. I had been sick with head colds and mild viruses fairly often the past few years. I had also been more tired than in the past, which I had chalked up to getting older and running my kids all over. I am almost 40.

I have been slowly healing, and my energy levels are amazing. I am healing more quickly than with the past dental surgeries. I can tell such a big difference already. One of the questions I had for the surgeon was "how will I know the infection is gone, since I never had classic symptoms in the first place?". He told me that I would be able to tell a big difference in how I felt. I was skeptical, but wow, it is true.

I was so hesitant to lose this tooth, but now I am very grateful that I did.

:dance2: :perfect: :welldone: :cheer2: Sooo happy for you Mountain Mama,, you definately deserve it.

:dance2: :perfect: :welldone: :cheer2: Sooo happy for you Mountain Mama,, you definately deserve it.

Thank you! I really hope this is the turning point for me! I know I have a few more issues, but this was definitely the worst one and it is over! Good to have it behind me.

Can I ask if you had a temporary put on since it was a front tooth? One of my fears is that I will have to get a front tooth pulled and nothing there while it heals.

So glad you are feeling better though!

So glad you are feeling better and have more energy.

Can I ask if you had a temporary put on since it was a front tooth? One of my fears is that I will have to get a front tooth pulled and nothing there while it heals.

So glad you are feeling better though!

Yes, I have a temporary flipper, and it looks very real. Once I had the consult at the oral surgeon, they told me to schedule an appt with my dentist to get the flipper made. Once I had the flipper, the dentist scheduled the extraction at the oral surgeon's office. I brought the flipper with me and walked out with it on, so no missing tooth, even right after extraction.
The flipper tooth is a tiny bit lighter than my real teeth, but my husband says it is not noticeable in person. Here is a picture. My upper lip is still a little swollen.20190919_134828.jpg

Yes, I have a temporary flipper, and it looks very real. Once I had the consult at the oral surgeon, they told me to schedule an appt with my dentist to get the flipper made. Once I had the flipper, the dentist scheduled the extraction at the oral surgeon's office. I brought the flipper with me and walked out with it on, so no missing tooth, even right after extraction.
The flipper tooth is a tiny bit lighter than my real teeth, but my husband says it is not noticeable in person. Here is a picture. My upper lip is still a little swollen.View attachment 2462

That looks great!

I agree.. looks great! :)

That looks great!

Thank you. If you end up having to lose a front tooth, they can easily have a temp for you to put in immediately after extraction. I was really scared about the whole thing but am so glad I did it now.

I agree.. looks great! :)

Thanks! I am at the stage where the stitches are starting to come out, so the flipper is not too comfortable right now as it pushes against the irritation in the gums in certain spots, but I can't get it adjusted because it is just due to the stitches.

ahhh.. I so get that irritating state.. I hope it gets better quick for you ...

So pleased things are working out. Your teeth look super!

Thanks! I can't wait until the permanent tooth is in.

I'm really enjoying following your story, you've been so courageous and I am so glad that things have improved for you! You have a very pretty smile!??

Your teeth look amazing! I’m so thrilled for you. How is the lower implant doing? I’m sooo glad to hear that you’re feeling so much better! ❤️

Nice to see a good looking temporary like to have. It seems you are in good hands.

Your teeth look amazing! I’m so thrilled for you. How is the lower implant doing? I’m sooo glad to hear that you’re feeling so much better! ❤

The lower implant is doing well now. No more pain, and the stitches are starting to come out.

Nice to see a good looking temporary like to have. It seems you are in good hands.

Yes, I am starting to feel comfortable with all this. So far, everything has gone well. I really feel very comfortable with my oral surgeon now. He really knows how to make a nervous person feel comfortable and with this surgery, he seemed to anticipate possible issues and make provisions for them ahead of time.

I wish I felt as comfortable with my actual dentist, but hopefully that will come with time. He will be doing the crowns, and based on the temporary, I am a lot more confident about it.

Yes, I am starting to feel comfortable with all this. So far, everything has gone well. I really feel very comfortable with my oral surgeon now. He really knows how to make a nervous person feel comfortable and with this surgery, he seemed to anticipate possible issues and make provisions for them ahead of time.

I wish I felt as comfortable with my actual dentist, but hopefully that will come with time. He will be doing the crowns, and based on the temporary, I am a lot more confident about it.

I was looking through forums and great to read more of your story. Happy for you being on the mend. Thanks for your words of advice in my situation as well.

@MountainMama hello, thanks for sharing your story, it is hopeful to see!
I am currently in a similar situation to what you have - I’ve recently discovered I’ve had a tooth infection which has built up chronic infection in the gum over a number of years. Similar to you, I’ve had fatigue and been getting ill frequently. I’ve now had a root canal done which has successfully removed the infection from the tooth, but I am still experiencing symptoms, i expect due to the abscess / chronic inflammation in the gum. My root canal was 6 weeks ago now. Did you find that your symptoms of fatigue etc gradually reduced? Or was it all very quick? I’m worried that I’m going to be feeling like this for months, as he said the abscess / inflammation will just heal over time as my body realises it no longer needs to fight. Thanks in advance for your help!

Back