Chronic Infection on Root Canal tooth that has now been re-treated

S

StefyS

Hello Everyone,

Back in March, I had my first pre-molar on the top left side re-treated through the crown as it had a chronic infection that made a little bump appear. Before the re-treatment, when I bit down on the tooth, I felt a very strange pressure (where the infection was) - after the treatment, no bump, no strange pressure, no pain in the gums when I press it and no pain when I chew which is all great of course and my dentist saw me in June and said he was very happy with how it's healing.

I've recently had a look at the back of my teeth with a mirror and that tooth seems to have quite quite dark/reddy gums still (they were probably there before but I just haven't looked) - is this normal for a tooth that used to have a chronic infection?

Do these sometimes take longer to heal? Like I said, I'm experiencing no pain or discomfort from that tooth.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi StefyS, glad to hear that you have no more issues with the tooth. As to reddy gums, I do not know if there is any link to the fact that the tooth was chronically infected, but I do know that places where crowns and teeth meet are a in general bit more prone to food trapping so that the gums can get inflamed more easily there. If this is the cause, then flossing there a bit more should solve it... just a thought..

S

StefyS

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I think they are getting better over time, they can still be a bit sensitive at times when I floss but I think overall they are improving.

Fingers Crossed!

Kind Regards,
Stefanie