• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chronically infected tooth extraction help!

B

Bunnyface

I'm due to have a decayed, broken to the gum line molar taken out on Saturday and I'm terrified.

My questions are- will/should I have antibiotics? I'm not on any at the moment but after reading up online I've read I shouldn't get it taken out without them? Is this true?

Is a severely decayed tooth easier to pull out? My bone and gums are fine according to my dentist after xraying it but there is a chronic infection at the root which flares up every so often and I'm panicking so much about getting sepsis and dying.

How quickly can I drink/eat after? I only say this because I suffer from hypos, especially after panic attacks and I'm definitily going to be having a tonne of those.

I'm also unable to swallow pills, will this be an issue? Will I absolutely need pain meds after?

Good morning. Take a deep breath. You may be prescribed antibiotics after. I’ve had infected teeth removed without being on antiobiotics first and it was ok.
I also have a hard time swallowing pills. If the antibiotics don’t come in liquid form I crush them and mix them with chocolate pudding. I also get children’s liquid ibuprofen and use that.
You will likely be sore, but I’ve been able to eat soup and such on the first day and then soft foods on day 2.

Good morning. Take a deep breath. You may be prescribed antibiotics after. I’ve had infected teeth removed without being on antiobiotics first and it was ok.
I also have a hard time swallowing pills. If the antibiotics don’t come in liquid form I crush them and mix them with chocolate pudding. I also get children’s liquid ibuprofen and use that.
You will likely be sore, but I’ve been able to eat soup and such on the first day and then soft foods on day 2.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Just came back from getting an infected root canal molar out from this morning. He rocked the tooth 3 times with his tool and it was out. I didnt need antibiotics but was given some painkillers. I took 2 dosages so far. It wasn’t so bad after all. It’s the week of waiting until my appointment that was the worst! I also had some Ativan and laughing gas too since I told them I was super nervous.

Back