• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Class 3 Malocclusion + TMJ

S

Shadowgirl2018

Hi,

I am looking for some insight. I haven't been on the message boards in many yrs. My old thread from 2007 --> https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/scared-out-of-my-mind-extraction-day-monday.2011/ - forgot my p/w to that acct

In 2007 I had 23 extractions. The dentures I was suppose to get did not happen. :( In 2014 I was able to move forward to get dentures but came to a impasse. I had a class 3 malocclusion and significant bone loss in my gums. I was told I would need my jaw broken to realign the jaw and bone grafting to rebuild my gums. I didn't have that kind of $ and it took me nearly 7 yrs at that point to just be able to afford the denture :mad: My insurance has always been Medicare and they don't cover ANY dental. I did finally get Medicaid last year (prior that I was never eligible) and met with a dentist and they said I need to be seen by a prothodonist due to the jaw issues. Trying to find a medicaid prosthodonist is next to none. The only one they have is 3 hrs away from me :( Also was told they might not cover any of this work because its cosmetic???? It's not cosmetic this is what not having dental insurance looks like.

The reason I lost my teeth was due to the medications that were used to treat my disability. SSRI type medications. It caused me to grind my teeth even more. I do not take those medications any longer!!! However I still clench my jaw til this day with no teeth and it really hurts. Here is where I am beginning to connect some dots. In 2010 I started having really bad neck and shoulder pain. I also started having issues with my hearing (another thing medicare doesn't cover) I was able to be seen by a clinic and paid on my own and they said my eustachian tube was clogged. I have been through rounds of unsuccessful physical therapy for my neck and shoulder. I was also told my posture was bad. I had forward head posture and rounded shoulders. From what I been googling it seems to be connected to the bite and tmj. Is this true? My bite was fine before the extractions it shifted so badly when the teeth were removed - the bottom jaw is very far forward and top is pulled back. Which is making it hard to get a denture made. I cant believe 11 yrs later and I am still on this quest of this dental hell i been living in :(

Oh goodness, just wanted to offer you some moral support! I hope you can get something worked out. Dental expenses are ridiculously expensive, and it is crazy because you need your teeth to be healthy or other parts of your body suffer. It is all connected.

Back