• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cleaning around crowns

Topcat

Topcat

I have a quick question, should you floss around a crown the same as any other tooth?

I was flossing this morning around my newly crowned tooth an the floss got stuck so I pulled it through rather than downwards but now I am worried that I may have dislodged the crown or that I could have pushed bits of food into the top of it :confused:

Thanks

Thanks I dont think there is any cement I think I am just over being over cautious as the previous crown got a hole, caused the tooth to get decay an then finally fell off !!!

I am paranoid about damaging this one at the moment, im sure as time goes by I will relax a bit more. I am due back to the dentist week after next to check all is still ok etc.

Be sure to tell your dentist that your floss is getting stuck. Same this happened to me and they took an x-ray. Sure enough, the didn't set the crown good in the first place so the floss was getting hooked up on it every time I tried to pull down.

You shouldn't be able to cause damage to permanent dental restorations by using dental floss. In fact, it the restoration is that fragile, it wouldn't survive too long from the chewing forces placed on it over time.

With temporary crowns you should use caution during flossing as the cement used is temporary and is designed to allow the temporary crown to be easily removed.

See if your dentist can resolve the floss catching problem.

Back