• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cleaning regime during Covid 19.

Tolkienista

Tolkienista

I've had two hygienist appointments cancelled in the last five weeks and in the last call, the receptionist said, we'll contact you, because we have no idea when we can book you in, due to Covid. My hygienist is at my periodontist who I'm due to see the same day for my yearly checkup. My question is can I possibly keep my teeth in a good enough condition with my strict cleaning regime (which I rigidly follow) at home. Or will there be so much build up, that by the time I see my hygienist, damage could be done. I normally see my hygienist every four months. I fully understand the dreadful situation dental practices find themselves in and I'm more than happy to wait it out, for however long it takes. My periodontist and hygienist have changed my life.

No one can really say - no one here can know your specific situation as well as you do! It sounds like you are thorough with teeth cleaning at home. That's great. I also recommend avoiding sugar and starch. Perhaps you do that anyways, I have no way to know. But that's one good thing you can do at home. You can also rinse your mouth with water after a snack, if you do snack. I do not recommend brushing more than the recommended three times a day, because you can cause damage. In your situation I would want to avoid candy, chocolate, potato chips, and things like that. If you really enjoy those things, though, that's okay! Try eat less and use mouthwash in between. A waterpik may also help you clean more thoroughly around the gum line.

Even with a bad diet, you likely won't cause terrible damage in just a few months, especially if you are rigorous about cleaning and eating! Lots of people are in the same situation as you right now. Do what you can at home. You certainly won't ruin your mouth any time soon. These regular appointments are so that they can stay on top of any problems that may arise! They're not the only thing standing between you and terrible problems. :)

No one can really say - no one here can know your specific situation as well as you do! It sounds like you are thorough with teeth cleaning at home. That's great. I also recommend avoiding sugar and starch. Perhaps you do that anyways, I have no way to know. But that's one good thing you can do at home. You can also rinse your mouth with water after a snack, if you do snack. I do not recommend brushing more than the recommended three times a day, because you can cause damage. In your situation I would want to avoid candy, chocolate, potato chips, and things like that. If you really enjoy those things, though, that's okay! Try eat less and use mouthwash in between. A waterpik may also help you clean more thoroughly around the gum line.

Even with a bad diet, you likely won't cause terrible damage in just a few months, especially if you are rigorous about cleaning and eating! Lots of people are in the same situation as you right now. Do what you can at home. You certainly won't ruin your mouth any time soon. These regular appointments are so that they can stay on top of any problems that may arise! They're not the only thing standing between you and terrible problems. :)
Thankyou Sevena for your reply and your advice too. I was given a rigorous cleaning regime by my hygienist many years ago and I've just stuck to it, which in the current situation I'm pleased about, because I can extend my appointment without too much worry. I like the idea of rinsing with water, that makes a lot of sense. Definitely won't be doing extra brushing because I know that can cause extra problems too. Love this website, really reassuring to know there are others in the same boat. Best wishes.

Hi,

min addition to what Sevena said, assuming that businesses will gradually open up, I believe that dentists will be one of the first to open.

Hi,

min addition to what Sevena said, assuming that businesses will gradually open up, I believe that dentists will be one of the first to open.
Thankyou Dr Daniel. Just out of interest what percentage of your patients do you think follow your advice with suggested daily cleaning regimes at home?

Thankyou Dr Daniel. Just out of interest what percentage of your patients do you think follow your advice with suggested daily cleaning regimes at home?
It really depends. My philosophy is to change as little as needed the patients habits in order to improve cooperation. I believe that the vast majority of dentists and oral hygienists give a long explanation of all the aspects of daily brushing but then the cooperation is very low because it is really challenging to change behavior.
I try to minimize the explanation and focus on as little as possible messages: sometimes talk only about soft brushing or drinking more water or adjusting diet.
I think that young patients tend to be less cooperative. Sometimes it takes a few years before they are motivated to change habits.