• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Cleaning teeth after

MeaDrea

MeaDrea

I had the upper and lower wisdom teeth pulled and a root canal of the upper second molar.

Doc said first 2 days, don't brush.

After he said avoid the left side... so 2x a day I've been brushing and flossing starting from just left of center, and all the way to the right... then I very gently swish a warm salt water rinse.

But what about the second molars next to the extracted teeth? How do I clean them without brushing them?

It's been 5 days since my extractions. Things are healing, but there's still a way to go. The stitches haven't fully dissolved yet (I thought the lower ones did, but they just shrunk and sunk a little into the hole... see pic) and the blood clots still look pretty fresh on the bottom. (The top is healing faster)

So I don't think I can brush and floss there yet. What else can I do? I'm worried about causing more dental issues from not properly cleaning them. Should I scrape them clean.. start brushing.. I don't know the protocol... and apparently I don't need a recheck where I can ask all this... so if I make an appointment, I have to pay and I have zero money left... so I can't go there to ask.

Attachments

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Get on in and brush them. Really don't understand this advice at all. You're not likely to do any harm by brushing normally.

MeaDrea

MeaDrea

Okay. Yeah I don't get it either, just like they told me to sleep sitting up the first few days. I don't know why, I was too medicated to ask, and since I'd have to pay for a recheck and can't afford to, I'm kinda lost on the whys and when's