• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

clenching and grinding!

G

Former Member
If only it was my buttocks ;D

But of course it's not it's my damn teeth again.

When I was a kid I used to grind my teeth all the time but at some point I stopped that and started clenching.

I always thought it was just something some people do and accepted it but I've been reading that it's not good for my teeth?

I often wake up in the night with really sore teeth and jaws because I clench so hard. I've been trying to stop and relax my jaw during the day and before I go to sleep and that's sort of made me aware of how much I do it. If my jaws aren't clenched they ache, presumably because they are just not used to it and they always end up clenched again, I've realised that this is putting loads of stress on my teeth as well. I've always had very severe tension headaches and now i'm wondering if the clenching contributes to this. I've found this whole section of my head sort of above my eyes and behind them that seems totally connected and tense at the same time.
So..........bearing in mind that I can't find any dental help (yet) is there anything I can do that will help to stop this or at least lessen it?
Thanks in advance :)

Have a good poke about on this site, http://www.headacheprevention.com/, you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about clenching, grinding and headaches.

The clenching won't be particularly bad for your teeth, but surely will give you some sore heads.

I've read in a lot of places that the NTI device is the best there is, but it doesn't seem to be on offer in France (though it might well be, thing is how not everyone who provides it would register with the site).
If one can't get hold of an NTI guard (I take it it's available through dentists only), is the mail-order Splintek SleepRight Night Guard any use?

The NTI is basically just a little preformed bit of plastic, you can make them without buying the bits from Jimmy Boyd, but it's a lot less effective. I'll try to approach it the other way, I'll ask Jim if anyone is distributing it in France and see what he says. He's a busy guy these days though so don't hold your breath.
The other gadget I haven't seen but from the looks of it I doubt if it would be very effective. Sorry. :(

Back