• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Clenching and teeth movement, braces

C

chrissy83

Hi everyone, I'm feeling a bit desperate.
In the last few years my teeth have been moving and I have now developed bruxism / clenching due to my teeth being crooked I think.
Thing is I'm starting to develop other problems now, my face hurts continuously, I can't smile because it hurts, and I can't cut a piece of sellotape in my mouth anymore because my front teeth don't meet enabling me to.
I've looked into dental brace prices and I can't afford one.
My dentist said he'd refer me, but it will cost £2000-£3000, and I can't take out finance as I don't think I;d be accepted for it.
My dentist is NHS and I feel like I can't cope with how my teeth feel anymore, my face hurts and I just feel so sad, I don't know what I can do.
I live in Wales.
I've even wondered if there are any trials around. I'm just so desperate right now :(

He could refer you to an NHS Ortho consultant first though, to see if there is anything that ortho can do for you, then you'd be in a position to decide whether to raise the cash or the NHS might even pay for it.

He could refer you to an NHS Ortho consultant first though, to see if there is anything that ortho can do for you, then you'd be in a position to decide whether to raise the cash or the NHS might even pay for it.

Thank you for your reply Gordon :) I don't know if the NHS would pay though as I'm 29. My teeth aren't terrible looking but they hurt. When I smile my right front tooth sticks out from under my lip, and my lower right tooth under that forward tooth leans back towards my tongue in that direction. I also have fracture lines in my lower front teeth due to it all. Everything seems to be getting progressively worse somehow.

They would pay for it if your teeth were sufficiently damaged to need it done. There's a thing called Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need, if your IOTN is high enough then the NHS will pay for the treatment.

Back