• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Clenching/Grinding After Extractions

D

Deb89

I'm not a hundred percent sure if I grind my teeth or just clench them down. I just know I do it on the right side and woke up today with my gums very sore because this is the side I got my wisdom teeth extracted from. The pain is going away now but I'm afraid I'm ruining the healing that's going on back by there. My top molar is further back than the bottom one so I'm almost positive that tooth is scraping or putting a lot of pressure on the gum on the bottom.

Does anyone know if this will make it harder for the extractions sites to heal and what can be done about it until I can actually get a mouth guard? I read on another thread that it's good to sleep on your back or put a wash cloth in your mouth. While I might fall asleep laying on my back I almost always wake up on my side and I'm afraid I'd choke on the wash cloth.

Hi Deb,

I think I clench my teeth in my sleep too. I am awaiting a wisdom tooth extraction, and I think I do it because of pain. I frequently wake up with pain. I don't think I'm grinding them, just clenching.

I don't know much about extractions, but I wouldn't advise lying on your back with anything in your mouth!!! I also would think that lying on your back whilst bleeding might not be good, but I'm no medical professional. I just know that in 1st Aid you always put someone in the recovery position with their face on the side.

I'm interested in the replies you may get about this too.

Hope it improves for you. I'm dreading getting my WT out.

H x:-*

The extractions themselves are honestly not bad at all! Thankfully I'm not bleeding anymore, mostly just on the first and a bit of the second day so that's not an issue. I just can't sleep on my back comfortably.

I have a diary on here if you're interested about reading my wisdom teeth extraction story. :)

Dear Deb89,
Oh, my GOSH, are we LONG LOST SISTERS??? I posted this same question about 2 weeks ago right here. My dentist told me I grind my teeth. I am worried about the healing, too. Right now, I kind of push a pillow into the hollow of my cheek so I can't grind my teeth (it works). But I don't know what to do after the extractions. NONE of the dentists on this board had answered my question, so I don't know if there is an answer to this problem. If you find something that works, please post or PM me. I'm due for my extractions hopefully sometime this month.
Hope you are feeling better,
Jen :XXLhug:

I move around so much when I sleep that I don't think that'll work! :( The pain goes away pretty quickly after I get up but it still sucks. I'm going to the oral surgeon either this Thursday or Saturday just for a check-up to see how the extractions are healing. I'll be sure to ask him then for all us!

Alright so I went to the oral surgeon today for my post opt and I asked about the clenching. He said it wouldn't affect the healing of my extractions it'd just hurt my jaw. So it seems you don't have to worry about it guys! And lately I have been able to sleep on my back the entire time (at least that's the way I fall asleep and wake up). My suggestion is to have two normal size pillows and then a smaller one a bit lower down so it's between your shoulder blades but comfortably on your neck.

Hope I helped you guys as well and good luck with your extractions!

Thanks for letting me know!! It's good to know that you wouldn't hinder your healing if you grind your teeth. Thanks also for the tip! When I get my extractions done, I will have to try it.
Hope you are feeling pretty close to normal now,
Jen :XXLhug:

I was wondering where you were! :XXLhug:

And I am, still wary about eating crunchy things though! But I'm able to open my mouth fully now ;D

Good luck with your extractions hun!

My mom actually spoke to the dentist. She suggested trying a night guard from the store (Wal-Mart I assume as it has a pharmacy) and if doesn't work I could come in and get it made. It's going to cost three hundred at the dentist though!

Back