• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

clove oil for toothache

S

snapper

Any one tried cloves for toothache? Just wondering whether its worth a try for my niggling back toothache of which the cause is unknown!

I tried that to many years ago it did work but only a temperary and hot water bottle wrapped in a towel both eased the pain...but there's only so much pain you can handle before you have to give in a go to the dentist
Sandy x

I may be wrong in this, but I think I read somewhere that while Cloves may give you relief from pain for a while, prolonged use may cause nerve damage.

To be honest, the only real treatment for toothache is the dentist.

Thanks for the feed back. Not sure I like the sound of nerve damge but if I dont use it very often then I should be ok.

I have been to a dentist about this tooth. The problem I'm getting now is not just in this tooth but all the teeth on the same side and above this tooth when I chew and drink hot fliuds. I'm waiting for an appointment to come through from the dental hospital but its taking a while. In the mean time it has been suggested that clove oil is good for toothache. It doesnt taste too good but does seem to relieve the discomfort for a short while

Avoiding chewing on this side of my mouth also helps. I'm not keen on going back to this dentist, he's being a bit vague about whats causing the problem and we seemed to disagree some what.

I think your correct Graham here's what Gordon had to say about cloves in an earlier post - it is toxic to the nerve and could lead to the tooth needing root canal treatment.

Thanks for the thread. It seems avoiding cloves all together would be a better option.

I hate to sound a little brutal here, but toothache does not go away - it will get worse.

It may wax and wane over a period of time, but it will become more intense with greater frequency. Eventually, it will overpower you. (trust me on this!) In the worse case, it can cause serious medical issues as well. I would strongly suggest you get this looked out NOW before it gets out of control and you find yourself in serious trouble with it. Home-made solutions are good just to give you enough relief to get you into the chair, but they will not cure the problem. Only a dentist can do that and I know how much relief it is to go to the dentist with toothache and come out free from it.

Please get this seen to, you may regret it if you don't.

Hi Graham,

I am aware that a dentist will be needed to sort things out eventually. I'm not sure how serious toothache can get but it's not too bad. I have the situation in hand, but thank you for your concern. ;)

Back