• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cold but need infected tooth extracted?

M

MagnetoWasRight

I've recently come down sick with a cold. I had an appointment for a tooth that needed extracted on Tuesday. I've already waited one week for it, and now I've gotten sick.

I'm going to email my dentist and ask what they can do, but I'm still really scared. What if I have to wait another week? The lymph nodes on that side are swollen, but I can't tell if it's because I've been getting sick this past week or because the tooth or both. I don't have a fever at all, which is a good sign, right?

I don't have any antibiotics, but I can try to ask for some. I'm just worried the dentist won't give me any without seeing me first, and I'm afraid he won't see me if I'm sick..

Has anyone ever dealt with this? Will I be alright waiting another week? Support needed. I'm in tears right now.

Hi,

Eventually you decide when the tooth will be extracted. Antibiotics can help in certain cases but there is a problem of too many antibiotics given by dentists for unsuitable cases.
If the pain is coming from the tooth, the antibiotics (if needed) should be written by the dentist but also a family doctor can write one. If the pain is not coming from the tooth (or at least it is not the dominant pain) antibiotics (if indeed indicated) should be given only by the family doctor.

A dentist can not deny seeing a patient because he/she is sick. If you wait one week (or even longer) it won't change much dentally speaking, it is more a question of how much discomfort you might experience.

Hi,

Eventually you decide when the tooth will be extracted. Antibiotics can help in certain cases but there is a problem of too many antibiotics given by dentists for unsuitable cases.
If the pain is coming from the tooth, the antibiotics (if needed) should be written by the dentist but also a family doctor can write one. If the pain is not coming from the tooth (or at least it is not the dominant pain) antibiotics (if indeed indicated) should be given only by the family doctor.

A dentist can not deny seeing a patient because he/she is sick. If you wait one week (or even longer) it won't change much dentally speaking, it is more a question of how much discomfort you might experience.
Thank you, Dr. Daniel!

I'm not extremely sick or anything. I don't have a bunch of mucus and I'm not coughing uncontrollably. I can breathe out of my nose. Will I be alright just going to the appointment anyway or should I notify them I might be sick? I don't want to do anything that could bother or harm them in anyway, and I definitely don't want to come off as rude to them.

Thank you, Dr. Daniel!

I'm not extremely sick or anything. I don't have a bunch of mucus and I'm not coughing uncontrollably. I can breathe out of my nose. Will I be alright just going to the appointment anyway or should I notify them I might be sick? I don't want to do anything that could bother or harm them in anyway, and I definitely don't want to come off as rude to them.
That’s very considering of you. You can certainly notify them, even before the appointment. In my practice, when I don’t want to catch anything, I let the patient rinse with an antiseptic mouth-rinse.

As long as the staff works with single use gloves and face masks, they are well protected.

Update, in case any ones interested.

That small cold turned out to be the flu! I feel horrible and can't breathe through my nose, so I had to reschedule my appointment for the 20th.

The dentist was very kind about the whole situation and prescribed antibiotics for me.

I'm a bit worried that I have to wait another week. I was dumb and googled stories about people who had infected teeth. Seriously, never do that. :(

I know I'll probably be fine, but I still can't help thinking about the "what if" scenarios. I know infections are rarely fatal, and in this case I'm seeking care for it.

Wish me luck, guys! The flu + an infected tooth isn't helping my anxiety at all.

Sorry to read about the flu! Hope you are on your way to getting better again.

Well, googling is not the best thing to get reassurance but luckily this forum is. Not sure what you mean by an infection being fatal, but if you googled then it might be about the possibility of it spreading etc, right?

The fact is, our bodies are incredibly smart and can deal with a lot of things themselves. It is very unlikely that you get into trouble until 20th April. If you like, take a look at this post.

All the best wishes, good luck on Wednesday and keep us posted.

HOpe you are feeling better Magneto!! Let us know how you are doing. :)

Update.

My appointment is in two days. I'm nervous as usual, but I've gotten over the flu, so I should be able to go!

I just finished my last dose of antibiotics, and the tooth feels a little better, but I still need it out. I'm considering asking my dentist to remove a few more teeth that are next to it, since they're broken and severely decayed.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Good luck, ?? so happy for you that it will be over soon.

Appointment is in 3 hours and the anxiety is hitting pretty big. For some reason I'm scared that I've made too many extraction appointments and have annoyed the dentist by not yet making the evaluation appointment.

I know this isn't true, but the rest of me loves to panic regardless.

I'm also afraid of other teeth getting infected before I can make the evaluation appointment. I'll feel really bad if I have to keep getting so many teeth removed before they even evaluate me for dentures.

Very nervous. Wish me luck.

MagnetoWasRight, how are you doing? How was your appointment?

Sorry for the late update! I've been pretty busy lately!

The tooth extraction went great. My dentist told me stories as he pulled it, like he always does, which really helps me calm down. I'm looking forward to having the rest pulled and getting my dentures.

To anyone thinking about making that first appointment, please give it a try! You deserve a pain free life.

Delighted to read that, very well done, MagnetoWasRight! :jump::jump::jump:
Love the part about your dentist telling you stories, what a nice way to keep you distracted. :love:

Back