• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Complaint

S

suesmith234

Hi

I visited a NHS dentist 23rd Dec for an emergency appointment. The dentist asked if I was experiencing any pain. Which I said yes, when chewing and pointed to the tooth. The tooth had a temporary over the counter filling in that I had used. The dentist then scraped out the filling and said 'It needs a silver filling' and left it.

2 teeth away from the painful tooth is a severely cracked tooth, which has given me zero pain since happening in March this year. The dentist said the pain was coming from this tooth, which I said I have had no pain from. He then replied 'we will fill it as they always flare up over the holidays'

He then gave me a temporary filling in the cracked tooth and no filling in the tooth I said was giving me pain. Told me he would see at the next appointment where an assessment will be done and a treatment plan given.

The next day, 24th Dec, after experiencing pain all day, I called another dentist at 9.30pm who gave me a temporary filling in the tooth that was given me pain and gave me a 30 warranty on the filling, to be replaced free off charge if it fails.

What do I do now? I have lost confidence in the NHS dentist after this terrible service and care given. Given the Covid crisis there is zero chance of finding another NHS dentist, so private treatment being the only option.

I could complain to the NHS dentist and maybe get a refund of £23.80. I could say nothing and show for my next appointment with the NHS dentist.

I have social anxiety and while no fear of dentists, I fear social situations and manipulation by people is common, as saying no or thinking fast is hard.

Thanks for reading

Hi,

I hope you're out of pain now - did the temporary filling help?

Generally speaking, when you're unhappy with the service you've received at a dental practice (whether NHS or private), the first step is to complain to the practice directly. I take it you don't want to do this in person (at the reception desk or by phone) if you have social anxiety? The alternative is to write a complaint letter or email to them, outlining why you weren't happy with the service you have received. Usually, the email or letter would be passed onto the practice manager, who will then deal with it and get back to you within a reasonable time frame (commonly about 10 days, but over the holiday period, this might take longer?). You could try this and see if they can come up with a good compromise. Maybe you could switch to a different dentist within the same NHS practice, seeing how you've lost faith in your current dentist?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The 1st filling was not needed. The 2nd filling has helped and stopped the pain as food is not impacting the gum now, although the gum is still sore and will take a while to heal.

Using a phone is difficult, but possible for me and the quickest option I think.

I have read their complaints procedure on their web site and they are initially dealt with by the owner dentist or complaints manager and then passed on on to the dentist.

I think I will complain and see what they say and might accept a refund and treatment going forward by another dentist as a solution as they have numerous surgeries. But I'm concerned by doing this will negate the treatment I receive.

That sounds like a plan :)

But I'm concerned by doing this will negate the treatment I receive.

Not sure what you mean by that?

The dentist preforms discreet, sub standard work because I complained.

That seems highly unlikely, seeing how they would have to worry about further complaints from you...

It's not always obvious where pain is coming from, and if there was a badly damaged tooth nearby, it would not be unreasonable to think that the pain was coming from there... it doesn't sound like malicious or dishonest behaviour (unless other things have happened in the past which make you doubt his honesty?).

That's going to be his argument I'm sure.

I said I have had that damaged tooth for 10 months with zero pain!

And the other chipped filling for 2 weeks with terrible pain!

He should have filled both teeth if he was unsure. He took the decision by himself and it was the wrong decision and I suffered.

I specifically said where the pain was coming from and was very clear, his professional opinion and choice was wrong.

This conversation is a great help for me. He will have a counter argument I'm sure and it helps me not be wrong footed when it comes.

Call me cynical. But I was thinking he will call me a liar and say that was the tooth I wanted filled.

They might be open tomorrow, if not it will be next Monday before the process starts.

On reading around the internet. Comments from dentist themselves, apparently if no x-rays was taken the dentist is on very shaky ground.

The dentist took no x-rays.

The second dentist took x-rays and was very insistent on doing so, she even commented that there was no decay but the filling was very large and had chipped making a hole where food irritates the gum and shown me.

I have zero confidence in using that dentist or practice again. I will most likely have to go private at a much greater cost to me.

I stand to gain a refund of £23.80 if they want. If they don't, they will get a negative review on NHS Choices, an Omnibus and GDC complaint.

I feel even if I was to get a refund I should still report to the GDC as the experience was that bad and it would hopefully stop others receiving the same.

Last edited:
To be honest, it doesn't sound worthy of a GDC complaint.

Might be best to just cut your losses and go private?

It sounds like you've made your mind up already to be honest.

I'm of the opinion that unless it's something serious, give them a chance to put it right. The dentist used his professional judgement at the time and on this occasion was wrong, however, I think reporting to the GDC is over the top when you haven't given them a chance to correct their error. You're making presumptions that the dentist is going to lie.

Back