• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Complete Fear of Needles, help?

R

Ro

Alright. So I'm 15 and have quite extreme anxiety. I am currently in therapy, and will eventually be meeting with a doctor at an anxiety clinic to discuss medication. I have always had an issue getting needles, but it has recently (within the past 2 years) gotten much worse. When I was younger, I could receive needles during dental practices with no issue, and it never bothered me, even though getting a needle anywhere else would cause me to have a panic attack (Now I can't get needles anywhere, mouth or body, as I attempt to avoid it so much that doctors have to stop otherwise I'd hurt myself in an attempt to get away from the needle.)

Just over a year ago, I went to the dentist to get a cavity filling done, and I thought that maybe I could deal with it. However, when I was in the dentist's chair, I began crying and hyperventilating and shaking, and my hand whipped up when I realized the needle was near my mouth, despite my dentist's best attempt to keep me blinded by the light so as to not see the needle. I had numbing gel on my gums too. He decided I wouldn't be able to get the needle, so his assistant stayed with me to help me calm down while he spoke to my mom. He referred me to a children's dentist who can use laughing gas, so my dad brought me there one afternoon. I was so scared even going into the building I could barely walk, and after we left I was sobbing in the elevator, so my dad had to cancel the appointments we had just made there.

We found another dentist who has laughing gas, and we've been there twice, once for a meeting to discuss my issues, and another for a cleaning. It took me several minutes before I could sit down in the chair and convince myself that they weren't going to pull a needle on me during the consultation. I was in a constant state of fear during the cleaning, and I almost didn't go I was so afraid. My dad had to cancel the actual filling appointment due to me having a panic attack at home and refusing to go. What can I do? I don't know when the appointment with the medication doctor will be, and my teeth really hurt and I want to get the fillings but I can't. Nothing I have done has helped and the thought of the needle brings me to the brink of tears, and sometimes causes me to go into full panic just thinking about it. Please help.

Hi Ro and welcome to the forum. I am so very sorry that you are dealing with this fear; please know that you are not alone, many people suffer with needle phobias. It sounds as though you are taking the right steps to try to help ease your anxiety; therapy is a great start. Also, joining here and talking about it can be very beneficial, it's not always easy to share our fears with others. You should be proud of yourself for all the effort you've already put forth into working towards the goal of getting dental care.

There is a lot of information about common fears on the tab above and even some tips on dealing with needle phobias. While this link I share talks about fainting and needles, the information provided may be helpful. Fainting at the dentist's Also, if you do a search I'm sure you'll find posts from others and you may find some insight on how they have worked through their fear.

I have a friend whose daughter fainted at the sight of needles and last year needed her wisdom teeth out. The right dentist and anxiety medication helped her to get them out but my friend was worried it was never going to happen. My point is, that even though it may sometimes feel impossible, you can overcome this. You sound strong and determined in your post so I'm confident you will get there. Please keep up with the plan you have in place and also, allow others here to support you. I look forward to one day reading a success story from you! :)

All the best,:grouphug:
Takingflight

I'm sorry you are in pain, it sounds like you have been so strong and brave through all this. I think Takingflight is right, you have been doing all the right things :cheer: and it seems that you have some good support in your parents, your therapist, and maybe even the dentists you've seen and that is great. Not having this done with already must be very hard on you and maybe my advice is no good but I think the best thing you can do right now is lean on those people as much as you can/need to. Be honest with them about how much this is bothering you, ask your parents about when the appointment for medication will be or if it can maybe be moved to sooner or maybe there is another path to getting medication that could help you. Come here and talk things over with us, we understand the fear and the struggle. Try to work on calming yourself, reduce your other stresses as much as you can, make time to do things that you find relaxing, like maybe a nice bubble bath, reading a good book, or watching your favorite movie. I keep thinking of the sayings - This too shall pass. and Where there's a will there's a way. - you certainly are strong willed and I believe you will come out ok on the other side of this even though it seems to be taking to much time, don't give up on yourself.

First of all, I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, I understand how it feels dealing with anxiety as I have to deal with it myself, not when it comes to needles, though. I actually have a dentist appointment tomorrow, and through all my appointments with both dentists and doctors (I was very often ill when I was younger) where I've had to be injected with needles, I've not once been nervous, but I do have some advise that might help you "in the moment"; Closing your eyes might help a lot, considering you can't see the needle itself (although it's very small) and you will only feel a tiny sting. Also, focus on your breathing! I know it's challenging with anxiety, but getting enough air in your body will not only calm you down, but also help relieve any potential pain. I understand that it's a difficult time for you, but try to remember that it's just a VERY tiny little innocent needle that will barely hurt at all, and it won't do anything else than relieve pain :) On the other hand, you seem like a very strong person, and I admire that you really want to do something about this, instead of just avoiding it all! Also, good decision signing up for this page, the people here really know their stuff and they're so kind!
I wish you all the best :)

-Rainbow

Back