• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Completely stressed here.. please help.

B

Bikaben

Ok; I'm 18 and I'm lucky enough to have that thing(Don't remember the exact name) where my teeth decay much more quickly than other peoples's do.

I no longer have either front tooth due to excessive drinking of soda until about 2 years ago when I started REALLY taking care of my teeth.. but that hasn't necessarily helped.. I can't go outside or anything and have stayed inside the past week when my teeth came out..

Anyhow, I obviously am not old enough to get implants, nor do I have the money to do so.

I just went to my dentist a little after they fell out and he recommended I get a flipper. But I'm kind of skeptical to spend $275 for a TEMPORARY solution when I honestly know I am NOT interested in getting implants nor do I want to get them.

I'm tired of staying in the house, I'm tired of sitting here stressing about who long my flipper will last..

I plan to take the flipper out when eating, I plan to use Polident and take decent care of the flipper.. I really want this thing to last YEARS.

I can't move on my own until I figure out what to do with my missing front, so should I get this flipper? (Have an appt. on the 12th) or is there a more feasible solution?

Thanks.. I really need some insight here.

Also.. I heard of Partial Dentures.. are they longer lasting?

My dentist is probably going to take a while to get everything to me and I can imagine if Partial Dentures are longer lasting... and my dentist is asking 275 for the flippers, that it'll be a ridiculous price to get them..

Ughh

I can't go outside or anything and have stayed inside the past week when my teeth came out..

Sorry, but.....what are you talking about ? Apologies in advance if I have mis-read your post ! :redface:

The difference between a flipper and a partial denture is that the partial denture is more durable, but depending on the shape of your teeth and amount of decay you may need crowns to make the partial more retentive. Also, it is more expensive. On the plus side, you won't need to take it in and out when you eat.

As young as you are, I would highly recommend looking into implants. Yes, they're expensive but if you're a good candidate they may offer a much more long term solution (paying $3K right now and not having to worry about replacements vs. paying $700 for partials every 5-10 years or so).

Hey
A flipper is no permanent solution. Another solution is needed, depending on your clinical situation. Regarding the financial aspect, once you find the proper treatment plan, talk with your dentist about the costs, there is always a possible solution for that.

Maybe there are other possible solutions, like a bridge or a maryland bridge. Did your dentist say anything about these options?