• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Complicated Molar extraction :(

L

Lisa_

I need some reassurance or second opinions please... Here goes, stay with me!:)

I had my bottom right molar extracted on Thursday 20th November in the morning. The reason being is that my wisdom tooth was still in the gum and causing discomfort for some time. I had the same done 3 years prior with hardly any problems (except the molar had a hook in the end of it! - the wisdom tooth came though no problem)

anyway, the extraction took 1 hour and 15 minutes. The dentist said the tooth was like glass but the root/ bone was like rock?! He had a hell of a job and by the end I had tears rolling down my face, not because it was painful but because of what I was putting myself through. I elected for this to be done! I must be MAD!

he kept checking the X-ray to make sure he didn't get near a certain nerve, apparently if he touched it my whole right side of my face would go numb, permanently?! :o

He he stopped taking the tooth out bit by bit at that stage and said he had to leave a small part in as it was fused to the bone. He was ever so gently (as gentle as he can be) and always apologising and making sure I was ok. I did think at one point I was going to be there forever or I'd end up in hospital as it wasn't going to plan. He said that i am very likely to be in a lot of pain later when the injections wear off and gave me a post extraction leaflet to follow. He said leave the extraction site and swab In place for a couple of hours and then in the evening I can gently use a salt water mouth wash, which I did, and which later I find out was totally the wrong thing to do as I saw the all important blood clot flush down the sink :cry:

The evening comes, not much pain so think myself lucky!

Next day, I feel a rather large gash in my cheek and still not much pain at all. That evening is a different story, the pain built up and I text my dentist (he gave me his personal mobile number to contact him if I need to) and asked if he could see me. He said he would prescribe me a low dose of amoxicillin ( I can't take more than 250mg due to having stomach issues, so he asked me to take it twice a day)

the he next day, Saturday, the pain was barely there so he gave me the antibiotics anyway. Sunday was pretty pain-free as well. Monday I went back for check over where the dentist sucked out whatever was there, rinsed the extraction site out with corsodyl in a syringe ( I jumped 6ft when he put the cold corsodyl on the nerves in the gum:scared::o). Then he put some brown paste in the hole that tasted absolutely disgusting! Told me to leave it there and not rinse until the evening with salt water, and to come back the next day. Jaw was aching, whole bottom right row of teeth were hurting and sensitive.

By Wednesday I was in agony, actually crying with the pain. Went in to see him and he used the sucker to suck out any thing in the whole, rinsed again with corsodyl (I jumped 6 ft again because of the exposed nerve) then packed it with the brown stuff again. Later that evening the pain was again unbearable, so my husband phoned him up... Told him the situation. He admitted I had something called dry socket. Infection and what he will do is scrape out what he can under local anaesthetic and clean it up. He wanted to see me the next day.

:( I am totally fed up with all this now.

Thursday comes and I go in and see him. Barely any pain at all in the hole! :hmm: He gets a swab and puts it gently in the hole, looks at it, smells it ( ewww!) and says that there is no infection! Boy was I glad to hear that! So he decides against messing with the site. I Was still experiencing jaw and wisdom tooth discomfort, and sensitivity in the other teeth near it, also sharp pains every now and then in the hole.

the Friday was a better day with the while tooth thing but my body decided to have a moment. I had a banging headache, felt woozy and nauseous for most of the afternoon.

saturday was a bit better again but I couldn't bend down much or do too much housework as it would make my jaw and hole ache quite a lot.

Today it has been 12 days since the extraction. There is no pain in the hole except for the nerve pain when I drink. Warm is ok but cool is not!!:scared: The nerve still hurts. I can see the wisdom tooth, or bone coming through in the gum, can't tell what it is. The sensitivity has all but gone But I still don't see any real improvement in the extraction site :confused:. Since the dentist has stopped messing around with the hole is is looking a bit better and no pain...... BUT

Why does the nerve still hurt? Why is the hole not closing over and why is the wisdom tooth not coming through? This is why I need a second opinion. My dentist says all is ok and I am well on the way to healing but am I really?:dunno:

thanks for getting this far and I hope you can help!

Hi,

To my ears it sounds that your dentist is full with good intentions but has not much of experience in tooth extractions. I think that clinical experience teaches the dentist mainly when not to interfere. Pain is the main sign of a complication after an extraction and since you had non I see no reason to touch the area.
I don't know what is the situation after the extraction. It is probably the neighboring tooth/teeth that cause the sensitivity with warm drinking.
It takes couple of weeks for the gum tissue to completely heal and gain its final shape. If part of the root is still there it is strongly advised to take an X-ray and evaluate whether it is better to extract it/refer to an oral surgeon/not do anything.
All in all, it sounds like the extraction site is healing well. Make the X-ray and maybe ask your dentist to have another colleague look at it.

Hi, thanks for your reply Daniel.

my dentist said everything looks good, and I don't really like to tell a dentist, or any professional in their field, what to do. I have read on this site somewhere that gum healing can take anywhere between 3 and 4 weeks to heal over... So considering he has only just stopped messing about with it, I still have presumably 3 weeks to go?! It's the nerve pain when something cool comes Into contact with it that bothers me, and this is what makes me wonder why it doesn't appear to be healing, or whether this is normal. It will heal over eventually won't it, even with the small bit of whatever he had to leave in there? And the wisdom tooth will come out of the gum and move into place, like the other side?

my friend said that when she had a tooth removed her dentist left the root in her gum!

my dentist said everything looks good, and I don't really like to tell a dentist, or any professional in their field, what to do.
Could not agree with you more...
Sensitivity to cold comes from a living tooth. It does not come from the nerve the lies under these teeth and might get hurt during the extraction, it does not come from left behind root fracture. I am 99.9% certain it comes from a tooth, probably from the neighboring teeth.
There are lotions that a dentist or a Hygienist can apply on sensitive teeth (like for example GLUMA).

Back