• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Composite or inlay?

P

PJPJ

Hello,

Around 2 years ago, i visited the dentist for the first time in around 12 years. I had to have some fairly substatial cleaning done, plus three fillings. One of the fillings was on one of my top front teeth, a pre molar. My dentist had to drill pretty deeply, which was horrible, but said that instead of doing a root canal, she'd fill it with this stuff called biodentine and put a filling over the top.

Anyway, a few weeks ago i noticed that the tooth had a strange metallic taste and so after putting it off for a while i reluctantly made an appointment to see a dentist. The dentist said that my gums were pretty swollen and i needed three fillings - one new one and two old ones which need replacing.

She said that the pre molar filling is 'leaking' and is also 'overhanging' and that she wants to take it out. Looking at the xrays, she's happy with the biodentine. She said that the filling is big and the best option would be an inlay, but that if cost is an issue, she can do a composite instead. The original filling was done on the nhs but i've since moved to europe and will be paying myself. The inlay is quite a lot more expensive than the composite, but it's not so much the cost that is worrying me, it's more that the procedure is unfamilar and it will take two visits, and presumably two injections and two lots of drilling, and i've read that when you have an inlay done, the dentist has to file the actual tooth before making an impression of the tooth, which sounds terrifying. I really like my new dentist and trust her opinion, but i'm quite scared and wondered whether anyone else had any thoughts on what would be the best option? My thoughts are that an inlay sounds scarier but would probably be more durable and therefore better in the long run. I just hate the drilling so much and am worried that the biodentine will make it worse. I've also read stories about people having issues with inlays not settling properly? Thanks for reading.

Hi PJPJ,

if the choice is between a composite filling and an inlay and the filling is big, I personally would go for the inlay (as your dentist said, it's the best option in terms of longevity).

I went back to your previous posts to find out why you are worried about the additional time it would take, and you mentioned that you weren't adequately numbed the previous time you had this filling done (not 100% sure though if it was the same tooth or not?). It's totally understandable that you would want to keep the time it takes for the prep down to a minimum if that was the case. I just wonder though if your new dentist might be more experienced and able to numb you without much difficulty. In that case, the additional time it takes may not be as big an issue? (I know, it's still an issue, but you may not find it as difficult with your new dentist).

i've read that when you have an inlay done, the dentist has to file the actual tooth before making an impression of the tooth, which sounds terrifying

Do you have a link?

Hi PJPJ,
Excellent advice from Letsconnect. I would add that biodentine is an excellent material for protecting the nerve in the tooth when the decay is deep. It has been shown to be very effective at keeping the nerve healthy and reducing the need for root canal treatment. Biodentine needs to be covered with composite or an inlay as it will wear down. An inlay is the best long term option when done well.

regards

Lincoln

Hello both,

Thanks so much for your replies. I think that you're both probably right - an inlay is the best option. I think the plan is to do the other two fillings first and see how it goes. As long as i don't find them too horrible, i'll go ahead with the inlay.

That sounds like a plan :thumbsup:. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Back