• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Concern about getting a partial lower denture.

K

Kathyg

I’m going to apologize in advance for the long post I’m about to make, but I have no one to ask and am hoping for reassurance from people who have been in my position.

i had no dental issues for my whole life until about four years ago, when I began having pain that felt like t was in all my teeth, it was weird, because I couldnt pinpoint where the problem was, it seemed like all of them were bothering me. At the time, I had no insurance and very little money so I basically ignored it and took lots of Tylenol and ibuprofen. Then I got pregnant with my youngest daughter and got insurance while I was pregnant, but the dentist wouldn’t do much because I was pregnant. They did pull one tooth that was especially bad, though. but the dentist I saw embarrassed me so bad about how bad my teeth had gotten that I was afraid to go back. (Plus I had no one to help watch the kids while I had what I knew would be extensive dental work.)

Anyway, I FINALLY got tired of constant pain for years and got myself to go to a different dentist several weeks ago who thankfully was really nice. But the bottom line was that now I have to have the back three bottom teeth on each side extracted. (And a root canal and some other assorted cavities.:()

ive started working on the cavities already but I’m putting off the extractions because I’m terrified. Not so much of the procedure itself, but the idea of wearing a partial lower denture is horrifying to me. I don’t want anyone to ever see that I’m wearing it, or even know about it. I’m 38 and I just feel embarrassed. My dentist said people usually take out partials to sleep, but I want to know if that’s absolutely necessary. I’d rather leave it in overnight if possible, does anyone do that? And for those who wear a partial, is it noticeable? Also my dentist told me that he normally waits 3-6 months after an extraction to make a partial, but I’ve heard other people get immediate partials, so I’m wondering what people who have had them think of that, is it better to wait or get it immediately? I’d rather immediate, but if there is really a good reason to wait I will try.

thank you for any input! :)

Thanks for sharing what your going through, I just want to follow this to see the answer also..........I’m getting 7 out on Monday ......1st extractions ever. !!!

Thanks for sharing what your going through, I just want to follow this to see the answer also..........I’m getting 7 out on Monday ......1st extractions ever. !!!

Good luck, I hope it all goes very smoothly for you!

I sympathize with you! On October 13th of this year I had to get 22 teeth extracted including all but 3 of my bottom teeth. I was horrified like you as I'm only 19 and felt ashamed. Let me tell you though! 2 months on and it's going well. The partials are more beautiful then my natural teeth ever were and I feel better about smiling now. It's amazing to eat without pain after years of it to. I know right now it is scary and seems like a bad idea. I had those moments even after the extractions early on but now that I'm all healed I KNOW it was a good choice.

I wasn't able to get my partial immediately, my dentist wanted me to wait and let things settle down a couple of weeks My dentist uses gas with me to help calm me down during procedures. I won't lie to you, the partial is taking me some trial and error to get use to. As far as esthetics, it's been natural looking from day one. I've been told by my dentist it is highly normal to require some adjusting when you do get it. In regards to taking the partial out at night, my dentist did highly encourage me to remove at night. Weirdly enough my extractions didn't send me for a loop as much as all the fillings So you may be surprised. One thing that my dentist did in addition was to prescribe a high fluoride toothpaste as she says that you have to be very diligent with cavity prevention with partials. I use it one time a day at night. Please hang in there ask ask ask questions from the dentist till you are comfortable. Please let us know how things are going.

I sympathize with you! On October 13th of this year I had to get 22 teeth extracted including all but 3 of my bottom teeth. I was horrified like you as I'm only 19 and felt ashamed. Let me tell you though! 2 months on and it's going well. The partials are more beautiful then my natural teeth ever were and I feel better about smiling now. It's amazing to eat without pain after years of it to. I know right now it is scary and seems like a bad idea. I had those moments even after the extractions early on but now that I'm all healed I KNOW it was a good choice.

Im so glad things are going well for you! And the idea of eating without pain seems amazing, it’s been a few years of pretty bad pain with chewing anything not very soft and it’s miserable, especially because I love food! Thank you for setting my mind at ease.:)

I wasn't able to get my partial immediately, my dentist wanted me to wait and let things settle down a couple of weeks My dentist uses gas with me to help calm me down during procedures. I won't lie to you, the partial is taking me some trial and error to get use to. As far as esthetics, it's been natural looking from day one. I've been told by my dentist it is highly normal to require some adjusting when you do get it. In regards to taking the partial out at night, my dentist did highly encourage me to remove at night. Weirdly enough my extractions didn't send me for a loop as much as all the fillings So you may be surprised. One thing that my dentist did in addition was to prescribe a high fluoride toothpaste as she says that you have to be very diligent with cavity prevention with partials. I use it one time a day at night. Please hang in there ask ask ask questions from the dentist till you are comfortable. Please let us know how things are going.

Thank you so much. I have an appointment for more fillings this coming Wednesday and I’m going to schedule the extractions that day, with the holidays I may have to wait but I’m hoping to have it done by early or mid January. I think what I’m going to do is not get the partials immediately, but see if I can only wait a couple weeks instead of a few months, hoping I can get my dentist to agree to that compromise, lol. And that’s very interesting about the fluoride, it makes sense, I never thought of that though.

Back