• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Concerned 3 days post op #30 extraction

M

Mich222

Monday morning I had #30 extracted. It was due to severe decay and pain. For about a week, I had aching in chin/jaw/tooth. Nothing severe but enough to want to get the tooth out.

Anyway, Monday morning I had the extraction. I opted for the local. The oral surgeon gave me multiple shots, it seemed like 6/7 shots. I couldn't believe how many. I noticed AS he was shooting up around the tooth, some jaw pain as the needles went in.

Extraction was classified as simple. I am going on 85 hours post op. It's been pretty uneventful as far as severe pain or other symptoms. Clot is there but shrinking/whitish.

What I am experiencing though is jaw stiffness and aching in certain areas... underneath jaw joint near chin on side of extraction, jaw joint in line with extraction site, jaw joint area up my the ear and sort of on the inside near joint if that makes sense. The other day it was so stiff I could hardly open mouth. Stiffness might be improving a tad but what's weird is what happens when I eat and talk a lot... I just get aches/pains in these areas... I just had some soup and hardly chewed but every jaw movement I had achiness especially near chin on right side below joint. Sometimes it goes into cheek, the achiness, and that area near ear. It is not a sharp pain that has me in tears, I actually haven't even taken Advil for over 24 hours. It's just an ache and off and pains usually brought on by movement, eating, talking. Only other symptom is slight stinging sensation in extraction site but the site looks pretty good overall from what I'm seeing. Oral surgeon even looked on Tuesday and said everything looked good. This was before the jaw/chin stuff. I think I mentioned the stiffness and that was all.

Do you have any idea what this can be?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just got back from oral surgeon, explaining symptoms. He looked at wound, said it was healing just fine. I asked him if I'm out of the woods concerning dry socket and he paused and said technically no but things look great. I'm on day 4 so wouldn't I be pretty much free from dry socket?

Anyway, told him about jaw symptoms I described above, he examined jaws, pressed on things in my mouth and said jaw joint is moving properly, he doesn't see anything wrong with the movement of the joint. He deduced that the surgery has caused my jaw to spasm/muscles to tighten and that's what's causing my symptoms.

I guess I believe it? I mean, the weird thing is I had jaw pain with the bad tooth too. Could he be able to tell if:

1. Jaw was fractured by exam?
2. Is it possible to get a jaw bone infection and would it present in the manner that I'm having symptoms or would it be different?

Also, dry socket... am I out of the woods for that and the oral surgeon is just being really conservative?

Thanks.

I guess questions are hit or miss?

Sucks I haven't received a response.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

It seems like the oral surgeon thinks the pain would originate from the jaw joint and not from the jaw bone. Considering oral surgeons can also do jaw surgeries, it would make sense he would be able to assess your jaw with an exam.

Back