• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Concerned about pain, does this sound like an abscess ?

B

BensonBooga

I hate seeing the dentist and especially now it is so close to Christmas, as I am unsure what to do. I am also huge so I worry about breaking the chair or something embarrassing related to my weight.

Two days ago I started to get a incredible throbbing pain in the bottom right of my mouth, much worse when lying down and hard to kill the pain, even with pain killers. For 2 nights now I have had less than 2 hours sleep as the pain is just non stop, yet I took 4 pain killers (2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol). Then all of a sudden around 11am I found the pain dimmed, but it still hurts when drinking hot drinks. The only thing I have found to fully stop the pain is swilling cool water in the area of the pain and leaving it there for 30 seconds, then when the water is removed I get about 5 minutes pain free, but suddenly the gnawing pain will come back, then I do the same again, I am getting through so much water. It is amazing though how painful the throbbing in and then just a bit of water completely removes that pain, but only for 5 mins max.

I can't see any swelling in my mouth. The pain right now is bearable, but it probably won't be soon as in the last 30 minutes I can feel it starting gradually again.

If a hole I guess I can wait a bit longer to fix it, but if an abscess I should get it seen to ? Any idea if the signs I mention point to an abscess ? Or should I see swelling ? I have 8 Doxycycline antibiotic tablets that I have never used for when I had a sinus infection, they are still in date, should I take them ? Or are they not for teeth ?

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
Hi I am not a dentist but the symptoms you describe sound very much like an abscess. When I had one it was the cold water that gave me some relief I also filled a hot water bottle with cold water to sleep on as well. An ice pack will also help.

This does need to be seen by a dentist that will be able to confirm or deny what I have said. If it is an abscess they may prescribe you some antibiotics or they may offer to remove the tooth. If the tooth is saveable then a rct will be recommended.

Go and see a dentist before christmas