• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Concerned about treatment I am getting

NervousUSA

NervousUSA

Hi! I have two questions. Sorry to be kind of long winded.

1. Why have two dentists told me my retained baby tooth can't be extracted unless it is replaced by an implant, bridge, or flipper, without terrible consequences, or they won't extract it unless I do one of these things, but I know at least four people with missing molars including both my parents who didn't have them replaced, and a person with the same congenital retained teeth as me (but now missing) and have had no issues? I notice I can only find dentists websites saying missing teeth must be replaced, but this doesn't seem to ring true with what I am seeing in life. I am afraid I am being pushed into uneccesary treatment, because I would rather not replace minel but feel I am not getting that choice.

2. Why do dental hygienists (at two different practices) not clean my wisdom teeth but clean all my other teeth? My wisdom teeth are not decayed or anything. I am afraid they are treating them as destined for removal. I now have a situation with a gum infection, called a pocket, next to one of those, and treatment I am being given for that is removal of both wisdom teeth on that side. Could this situation have been prevented by hygenists not skipping those teeth? I am middle aged and they have never been professionally cleaned when my others are cleaned. Can I ask them to start cleaning my wisdom teeth?

1) Don't know. Why do you want it extracted in the first place?
2) Yes. Maybe it's something to do with the bizarre US insurance system? Which might be the answer to the first question as well...

@Gordon
Thanks for the response!

Regarding #1 I wanted the baby tooth extracted because it was painful, loose, and continuously mildly infected with pus around it, the root was exposed and it occasionally had worse infections requiring antibiotics. I just didn't want to have it replaced. I have now finally agreed to have it replaced and got it extracted.

I guess I will have to build up the courage to ask if they can start cleaning my wisdom teeth next time I go. Not sure what to do about the one with the painful pocket, if I can try and negotiate about another treatment than removal or what.

I suspect that I am receiving treatment that is not for the best due to financial motivation.

I see, thanks. To be honest, baby teeth tend to "self destruct" in middle age anyway, the roots spontaneously dissolve and they can just fall out...

Back