• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Concerned about whether this is friction or leukoplakia

A

ArisL

Over the past several months, I have developed a "scalloped tongue". It feels too big at the base in particular and my teeth leave indentions in the sides of the tongue. A handful of times, I have awakened myself "choking" so I was wondering if I might be developing sleep apnea. Also, my anxiety is very very high and I have noticed I am (unconsciously) pushing the base of my tongue bilaterally outward and also sometimes pushing upward to the roof of my mouth. I also "suck" my tongue tightly against the sides of my teeth. I believe all of this is anxiety related. I have woken myself up several times biting the left side of my tongue or my cheek. For whatever reason, the left side is bothering me more than the left. I have also developed intermittent jaw and ear pain. I went to an ENT and he saw no signs of infection. Last night I noticed my jaw was twitching intermittently. A couple of times, it twitched and I bit the front left part of my tongue. I have not been to a dentist as I don't have dental coverage.

What's concerning me is that below the scalloping on the side, there are indentations that I at first assumed were related to friction. But after browsing the internet, I'm now concerned that they resemble hairy leukoplakia (which I know is associated with HIV). However, they aren't white. All the ridges are tongue-colored. I have a bit of this on the right side too but only at the very back where my tongue rubs my last molar. I know it's hard from pictures, but can you tell what this might be?

tongue3.JPGtongue2.JPG

Attachments

• tongue3.JPG
    tongue3.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 17
  • tongue2.JPG
    tongue2.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 12
  • tongue.JPG
    tongue.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 12
How about making an appointment at a dental school to get it checked out properly? Doesn't look like anything nasty in the photos btw, but there's no substitute for somebody looking properly.

Back