• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Concerns after post extraction

E

Emily457

Hi,

I’m an extremely worried lady looking for some advice about my post extraction. A week ago I had a upper molar removed due to a rather bad tooth infection. My face was swollen on one side and I was very sick. I was given amoxicillin and metronidazole and the tooth was extracted after the swelling had mostly gone down. However, since the extraction, instead of the infection going completely like I thought it would, the infection has still been present mildly. That was until today when it has started to really flare up and my jaw is quite stiff and the gum is very sore. Also just under my cheekbone is extremely tender.
I’m really anxious and worried that something sinister is happening and that the infection will not go! Is this normal?? I thought once the tooth was pulled, the infection would go! So worried about this and I don’t know what to do. Please help!

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Emily457

:welcome: to DFC. Sorry to hear of your post extraction experience , sounds really painful and exhausting. :(. :cry:

Do you have a followup appt scheduled or have you tried to call or email the dentist /surgeon who did it? I bet they would be happy to answer and take a look at what is going on.

E

Emily457

Hiya, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I can’t get hold of the dentist so I’m at a loss of what to do. Could it be the infection is still present??

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Emily456

I don't know personally if it might be but if it were me I'd want to at least talk to them if not go in and take a quick peek.. if I were going through that . I'd probably be scouring all their info for some secret after hours number :) could you call a local emergency dentist just for their thoughts, not that it is but just to give some sort of peace of mind as typically you can get in contact with dental emergency staff quicker

J

Jenni32

Hi I went through something similar and needed more antibiotics to clear it.

I think it would be sensible to get checked though.