• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cone Beam Scans

A

alphabetstreet

I know this is not really dental phobia related, but it is causing me a lot of anxiety and worry. I have some concerns about repeated cone beam scans and radiation. I’ve had two cone beam scans in the past two years, including many, many bitewings and a panoramic last month. I will have to get one (maybe more?) cone beam scan to finish up some implants, in the next few months. I am greatly concerned about having so many in a short amount of time, among other x-rays to the head.

From what I’ve read, one cone beam scan is equal to about a full set of bitewing x-rays radiation-wise. But what if you’ve had many consecutively? Is that bad? The doctors and surgeons just brush off any concerns that I’ve ever brought up about this. I get that they are a great diagnostic tool, but aren’t they too new to really know how harmful they may be? And should we err on the side of caution if getting them repeatedly for something that’s not really medically necessary? I mean, I would much, much rather be toothless than end up with any type of cancer, that’s for sure.

According to radiologyinfo.org, dental cone beam CTs are “not used routinely because the radiation exposure from this scanner is significantly more than regular dental x-rays.”

I would really appreciate any insight into the safety of these things. Is it better to maybe space out exposure to them? Am I being ridiculously worried about something for no good reason?

I am not a dentist, but I did ask my surgeon about this, because with all the dental surgeries I have had over the past year, I have had at least ten, most likely more cone beam scans just over a year. I have also had numerous regular dental x rays.
My surgeon explained it well. He said we are exposed to a certain amount of radiation everyday, just living on earth. He said a cone beam scan is not much more radiation than what you are typically exposed to, but is equal to maybe a week or two of typical daily exposure. The benefits of using them outweigh the risks of not getting a proper diagnosis, or not getting all the imaging needed to place an implant.

I've been told a scan/xray is no more radiation than an average flight on a plane (had similar concerns a while ago) plus someone I know had to have 2 different scans for things+was just advised to wait a month apart.

Back