• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Confused about dental advice from dentist

S

Scared29472

Went to my dentist today for a comprehensive exam where they checked everything and did X-rays. Dentist Said top left second premolar (i think) already has a filling on it but has a cavity under to the side of where the filling is. I have no pain or sensitivity to it at all, was very surprised that it was that tooth. She said something about how it could need a root canal if the cavity has reached the pulp, but she wants to start by crowning it (because the filling is big) and go from there.

How can she not be sure if it has reached the pulp or not? Can she not tell by the X-ray? Not questioning it but more confused on how theres not a definite answer for what I need.

Following up on that, she said if it has reached the pulp she’ll put a temporary crown on and send me for RC. She said if she can’t see ______ (don’t remember what she said here), then they would put the temporary crown on me for 3 weeks to see if theres any pain or sensitivity.

My question here, since I have gotten temp crowns in the past, is that how will pain and sensitivity during a temp crown tell her than I need a RC? In the past when I got temp crowns they were mildly sore after and uncomfortable anyways because of the procedure of putting it on so how am i supposed to know? I am terrified that I won’t know and that after the 3 weeks the permanent crown will go on and then I’ll need an RC after that through the crown.

Thanks

Not a dentist but ive read around here that a cavity can look slightly smaller on xray. And also my dentist told me because of the angle and such ssometimes its hard to tell for sure.
About the sensitivity im guessing it will be a wait and see approach? If sensitivity or something happens but it improves im guessing they ll keep an eye on it and if it doesnt maybe then do the rct…
Again not a dentist, just base on my own experiences. Wish you health.

Good answer KK, you're pretty much spot on.

Dentistry is not an exact science I'm afraid, sometimes you just have to adopt a "try and it and see" approach, unfortunately.

Back