• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Confused about whether I need to see a dental hygienist or a dentist

A

anonfemale

I have an appointment with a hygienist for next Monday but I'm not sure whether I need to see them or a dentist about my gum problems.

Well, you're not likely to get a dentist appointment before next Monday, so why not just see what the hygienist thinks?
There will be a dentist in the building anyway most likely so the hygienist can always call one in for a quick look if required.

@Gordon Thank you Gordon. I'm not sure if the hygienist will do a scale and polish or a deep clean. Should I agree to have whichever she suggests?.

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't?

My last dentist who I saw seven months ago only ever gave me a scale and polish, didn't probe my gums and didn't mention that there was anything on the xrays. A new dentist I saw at the same practice a few weeks ago did probe my gums and said I need a deep clean with the hygienist. She didn't explain what the numbers were. Has the stage of gum disease changed and do you think they are asking me to have the right cleaning?.

The first dentist wasn't being very thorough, patients should have gums probed at every exam.

Sounds like they either missed something or else your gums got worse in the intervening 7 months.

@Gordon Can teeth still be saved if there is any periodontitis and can people have implants if they lose them?. I'm very frightened in case my gums have got worse and about the deep cleaning procedure I am having on Monday. My mum noticed that the dentist probed my bottom front gums and the back top ones.

Yes to both questions.
Periodontitis is characteristically a very very slow process, it can take decades before teeth are beyond saving due to it.

@Gordon Do people definitely lose their teeth if they have periodontitis?. I will find out tomorrow what stage my gum disease is when I have the deep cleaning.

@Gordon The hygienist said that I have superficial inflammation and asked me to press just a little bit harder with the toothbrush. She said she wasn't concerned and I have another appointment in 3 months time. I didn't understand the numbers she read out.

Do people definitely lose their teeth if they have periodontitis?. I will find out tomorrow what stage my gum disease is when I have the deep cleaning.
Eventually, if nobody does anything about it for 40 years or more...

She said she wasn't concerned and I have another appointment in 3 months time. I didn't understand the numbers she read out.
That's great news. The numbers are just a shorthand for the general condition of the supporting structures, it makes it quick and easy to compare things at subsequent appointments.

Regarding your gums? Some mild irritation of the outside structures.

@Gordon Thanks for your reply. Is it gingivitis or bleeding from not using the right pressure to brush or could it be something else?. There is no pain and my breath is ok.

Bleeding = gingivitis. The question over what's causing the gingivitis is a bit hard to answer without examining you.
Most likely thing is inadequate plaque removal, then we get onto hormonal issues, short upper lip and some more exotic stuff...

@Gordon Thank you. I do have a short upper lip and I will ask the dentist or hygienist that I see if they know what else is causing it. It sounds like it might have been from me not brushing with the right pressure since the hygienist asked me to press just a bit harder with the toothbrush. My brother also has bleeding gums so could it be genetic?. Do I need to be worried or anxious about the gingivitis?. What makes me worried and anxious is that some people can have gingivitis and never get periodontitis but some people can get periodontitis. I will do my best with my diet and brush and floss every day and go to all of my appointments with the hygienist and the dentist.

I'm still very worried and anxious about it.

It sounds like your plaque removal wasn't up to scratch. Keep at it!

To be honest, people who are worried about periodontal disease don't get it so much, because they take the time and effort to work on it. A high percentage of periodontal patients just don't bother in my bitter experience :(

@Gordon Thank you. I am trying to keep my diet as healthy as I can and have been pressing on a bit harder with the toothbrush. It hasn't made the little movement that it makes when I press too hard so hopefully I am using the right pressure and hopefully using it at the right angle. Am I supposed to point it upwards and to the left?. I am also still using the waterpik as well as brushing twice a day every day.I put the waterpik close to the gumline but not actually on it.

It's good to know that people who worry about periodontal disease and who put in the time and effort to work on it don't usually get it don't usually get it. I was born three months prematurely and have autism and I read that some people who are born that way can get it but hopefully I won't. I feel sorry for anyone who does have it and if they are anxious about it.

Back