• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Connection / Distraction....thoughts...

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
I came across an ad on FB from a dentist advertising how this new virtual reality set was going to just skyrocket basically anyones business by mentioning or advertising they had this great new system of distraction.

Couldn't help just make me really think about the topic of putting bandaids on anxiety so to say instead of truly listening and connecting with your patients. I know there is a place for distraction, and a place for interventions and helps such as nitrious or headsets or whatever else. But I can't help but think that those things really work much better when trust is established and some connection of care is formed instead of just , hey heres a virtual reality set , now I'll go to work. Not judging.. because maybe some who use this or many do really connect.. just saying its not an end all cure.

I did have one dentist actually over 20 years ago, he was incredibly shaming and demeaning however he did have a video set you could strap over your eyes and watch Bill Cosby goes to the dentist, it was funny, sure.. but at the same time, this dentist was painful and rude and my anxieties were only heightened in his care, didn't last long for sure. He did have the distraction tool though.

In another way, my old dentist of nearly 10 years, did use humor as a tool of both connection and distraction, it was exactly what I needed to relax a little in the chair, I didn't get to the point of talking about my fears really, but I think he knew I was .. and was good at putting me to ease enough to last that long in his care.

I think of many dentists post on here about listening and connection and some old Dr Jerry Gordon videos on this, and the importance of the human factor and knowing someone really cares , I think lowers the anxiety so much more than a gadget, or a gas. Though again they have their place, and help in many case.

For me.. it was the "This dentist is listening to me, cares and is really human" factor,, that really catches me and got me with my current dentist and the fact that yes, it can actually be fun and laugh in the dental chair and at the same time have a serious discussion about anxiety or treatment is just amazing. I'm truly thankfully for the connection factor..

Of course I do believe you can have both too, as many dentists are great at distractions and know how to help their patients through after establishing that connection and trust and these tools and gadgets and gases etc, can be great tools. Just my thoughts... and what works for me.. wondering yours.

Thoughts? What works for you ?

Back