• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Conquered my fear!!

T

terrified310

Hello!

For years I've avoided going to the dentist even as my teeth were getting worse my fear would always win. Eventually, it was more embarrassment and fear that made me not want to go. I was afraid I was going to be judged, yelled at, and worst of all the thought of what they would do gave me sleepless nights.

I am 28 yrs old and I was tired of not smiling and avoiding pictures, I wasn't myself anymore. :shame: I made an appointment a few months ago and let me tell you it wasn't pretty. It was more the dentist itself. He was awful! scared me and my wallet to death. The good news though is that I did a little more researched and found a new dentist. I was a nervous wreck when I went to see her. I felt so ashamed of how bad I let me teeth get. But the staff was super friendly and the dentist sat down and talked to me and made me feel comfortable. My teeth weren't as bad as I thought. They needed a good cleaning, some fillings and need to get my 2 wisdom teeth out.

When she said the word "scaling" I almost had a heart attack:o. I thought, how painful is this going to be? I told them about my fear and how sensitive my teeth/gums are and they were very understanding. The good thing about scalings as much as they suck, it's that they do it by sections and not all at once. The hygienist made sure I felt nothing. Thank goodness. I managed to get all 4 quadrants done and the fillings in the front. Let me tell you, I haven't been this happy in awhile. I smile more!! :grin:I still catch myself looking away from people not realizing I don't have to anymore and it's awesome!!! I've been going regularly for the past 3 months and things are getting down slowly and less scary.

I know it scary, but it's worth it and you'll be much happier.

Oh, and my wallet is ok with the help of insurance and my dentist who understands how tough it is.

Good luck everyone and just know you can do it!!!

-Terrified310, may not be so terrified anymore :jump:

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Thank you for taking the time to write and tell us of your success.

Haven't you done well :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer::cheer::cheer::yayy: you should be very proud of yourself.

Thank you!!!:)

Back