• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

conscious iv sedation anyone?

L

laceygirl78

Hi Everyone. I am scheduled to go get my last wisdom tooth out tomorrow by a dental surgeon and I am terrified! The secretary told me he would not remove it without iv sedation because it is too deep into the bone and too close to the nerve. I asked her what the sedation was like and she said it was like "being drunk" and that I wouldn't remember much. Does that mean I will feel the pain and then just not remember?!?! She did mention that they will also inject some local anesthetic as well. I am beyond scared at this point. Anyone experience this kind of sedation? Please help!

Hi laceygirl, you won’t feel any pain because they will numb you up, so try not to worry about this one. You won’t be able to remember much, if anything, from the procedure - imagine getting the iv and in the next second being told you are done. There are loads of very happy threads regarding iv sedation and everyone who ever had it seem to be very satisfied with it.
All the best wishes for tomorrow and let us kniw how it went.

Hi there, I've been having IV sedation for over 10 years now, and I was asking the same questions as you. My first time having it was for a root canal, so I was pretty scared. Over the years I had IV for gum surgery, fillings, root canals, you name it. The scenario is this, i go in, they give me the iv, and I remember NOTHING more until I am being helped out of the chair to the waiting room, and thinking "why didn't they do the work", when they actually already have :) After the IV, I just feel like I've had a few drinks, and I feel totally chilled out. I experience no feeling of ANY KIND during the procedure, i don't remember hearing them talking, the equipment, any injections, nothing at all. Nothing. So really, its like not having anything done :) Hope this helps.

I have had iv sedation quite a few times. Just had it about a month ago. You will remember nothing nor will you feel anything. My hubby apparently stopped at the pharmacy on the way home and I dont even remember that! Sedation is the way to go.

Back