• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Considering Orthodontics after Dental fear

A

AngelStar

Hi. I am 24 years old.

I was on here in 2009 plucking up the courage to visit the dentist, after not attending for 7 years :(

Fortunately I got there and just needed 3 fissure sealants, as opposed to fillings.

Nearly 3 years down the line and after years of being so conscious of my smile I am considering Orthodontics. However I have ALWAYS had a fear associated with all things along those lines.

As a child around the age of 10 I remember my dentist talking about braces, but at that point I was starting to become wary of visiting the dentist. The thought of all that big metal stuff on my teeth for a couple of years absolutely petrified me. I remember saying that how I hated them and that I didn't want them in the treatment room. I would have nightmares about them and just could not do it and it, I believeit is one of the main reasons/fears that I have.

I am now 24 years and am married and have an 8 month old son. He is teething and I think his top teeth are going to be through shortly-I think they look like mine from what I can see in the gums :(. I feel so devastated if that is the case. I feel that I have to do something about my smile, as I have never been able to open smile and people said why dont you ever smile in your photos, especially my wedding ones. I also feel that my son would probably have to go through treatment as a teen and I would feel hypercritical if I haven't.

I have a large gap between my two front teeth and at the time the thought of braces meant that I just couldn't undergo treatment. I have been thinking for a few years on and off about treatment and have seen the way that treatment is advancing with different types of brace and shorter timescales.

I plucked up the courage to make some enquiries, as I have seen something called "6 Month Smile" which interested me. I emailed my local dental practice who offer sopme orthodontic treatment and have plucked up the courage to attend an appointment-That appointment is in less than an hour today!

I have been so anxious I have been struggling to eat and feel so sick and tense with nerves since I booked the appointment on Tuesday.

I am determained to try and do this as I know I will actually have some confidence and a level of self esteem when treatment is complete and I am smiling away.

It's just the initial step and I am so worried. Has anyone overcome their initial dental phobia and possible brace phobia and gone ahead with treatment?

AngelStar
x

Hello Angelstar

Are you sure you need braces? maybe other solutions (like laminates, crowns or composite) might do the trick? :)
I suggest you take a second and even a third opinion.

Regarding your childs teeth: the form of the baby teeth says nothing about the future permanent teeth. Milk teeth have different anatomy, form and colour than permanent teeth. His teeth are going to change several times until he finishes his growth (around 16).

Thank you for your message. The gap is very large and I wouldn't want to have to worry about having veneers replaced (and that cost again) or carrying out the necessary preparations for this.

I have just come back from my appointment and have been told that Clear Step would enable me to carry out what I wanted, which I am pleased to hear. The treatement time I am slightly disappointed with but as they would not need ligatures adjusting and are removable for eating and cleaning and un noticeable there is no reason I could not persevere to get the outcome I wish for.

Back